Need software HDD guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

apaullo

is there such thing as HDD guard?

a FREE software that lock the HDD while others are using the pc...they could enter the programs in the desktop but could not access the Local C and Local D if it has a partition...

Uhm.. The programs reside on C: and therefore anyone wanting to run the programs needs to be able to access C: or at least a part of it.

Or are you just interested in making the browsing of the filesystem a bit less obvous so a casual user can't go and poke around ust like that?

hmm..thats another suggestion Nodsu..to hide the drives so the casual users cant get access to it..

and wii-ste..i looked on ur site and it is good :p but isnt there any thats free?

as of now im using DeepFreeze to protect my pc but it is also a hassle...i just dont want others to explore the rest of the HDD

My site? Free? I think I'm lost sorry.

The page I was referring to there shows how to hide the drives in My Computer, but I'm not affiliated at all.

Another reason I suggested this (I'm not sure if it works the same), when this option is used through Group Policies on Windows Server 2003, it stops you browsing the drives, not just hiding the icons in that one window.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the scenario? Maybe that would help to assess your needs from such a tool. Who will be using the machine? What do they need access to?

For Example: My work has 'Internet Booths' where all you can do is use the Internet, not giving you access to any other applications or data on the machine. There is a few software products around to do this.

XP SP2 with the correct settings will do this naturally.

1- Place documents within your profile area
\Documents and Settings\yourloginid\ here

2- set Make Private

no one (LUA users) can then access anyone else's data

the Program Files, Shared Documents, and your own profile area are all you can
get to.

oh..so the SP2 has these settings..ill try it as soon as possible..how about SP!?

@wii-ste

i have an internet cafe...for gamers mostly..and i want them not to touch or tinker anything not related to gaming or internet..so i installed deepfreeze to do that..but they complain that thier games cant be saved since it is deepfreezed...so i thought of hiding the drives instead or possible lock it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back