Need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris33

Hey guys,

I need some advice about the video card situation I am in. I have a PowerColor Radeon X700 AGP 256MB card which is apperently now defective. When I called PowerColor, I have to say I was very impressed with their RMA support, they eventually said just to ship it back, and they will switch it for the PowerColor Radeon X1300 AGP 256MB.

Here is the comparison:
PowerColor Radeon X700
Memory & Bus Width: 256 MB DDR 2 / 128 bit
Core Speed: 400 MHz
Memory Speed: 266 MHz x 2
Output: DVI/ N/A/ CRT/ N/A/ HDTV
Interface: AGP 4X / 8X
Pixel Pipelines: 8

PowerColor Radeon X1300
Memory & Bus Width: 256 MB DDR2 / 128 bit
Core Speed: 450 MHz
Memory Speed: 400 MHz x 2
Output: DVI/ TV Out/ CRT/ / HDTV
Interface: AGP 8x
Pixel Pipelines: 4

My concern is that the X1300's specs are better than the X700, except for the Pixel Pipelines. My question is that does the increased memory speed on the X1300 compensate enough to justify the fact that it has half the Pixel Pipelines of that of the X700?

I know that memory speed is always preferred higher, what I don't know is what exactly Pixel Pipelines do, and what the lack of would do for my gaming.

Just to give you an idea of what I need it for, I play Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, NHL 07.

Hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

Chris

You can check this interactive chart HERE

It compares a X700PRO, with the X1300PRO. It appears that the X700PRO has a little more graphics power.

Regards :(

I was able to play bf2 on medium settings with the x1300pro. Look into upgrading to the x1600 (if they will let you pay the difference, it's a much better card)

Nice find. I don't have the pro version, and the X1300 is not the pro version :(

I hope to find comparisons on the non-pro versions.

Well, wolfram, very nice find, and it is very interesting, but you know how video cards are lol :p... You just never know.

I'll give you an example, 2 years ago I bought a Radeon 9200 thinking sweet, 9000 series Radeon card! Then I learned that the 9200's are actually a chopped down version of the 8500 :S Therefore, model numbers mean nothing....which sucks because we have to do a LARGE amount of research before you even get an idea of how a card will perform.

My main question is does the increased speed of the X1300 out-weigh the drop in Pixel Pipelines compared to that of the X700?

According to some benchmarks, not. A X700 has 8 pixel pipelines, and the X1300 has 4 only.

Maybe the little higher speeds help a little, but not too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back