TechSpot

Need some final advice on upgrade .

By Sandeep_K_Ram
Aug 24, 2005
  1. Hello guys .

I have decided to upgrade my 32bit PC to a 64 bit one and this is what I have in mind.

Current spec -
    P4 2.4GHz , 512MBDDR(400MHz) , INtel 845GBV mobo , 128MB AGP Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400

I am thinking of two options -

1. AMD 64bit Athlon 3200+ , Winfast NF4K8MC mobo , and a PCIe video card - I have no idea which card to buy.

2. I am not able to get the dual core processor yet here , so I am wondering if I should wait for the 64 bit dual core . I have the 64bit 3800 + Atlhon 64 X2 in mind ..with suitable mobo and graphics card.

Can anyone please tell me what the price of a dual core processor will be ? What about the cost of a suitable mobo ?

Finally - what PCIe card would be a good choice considering that I am looking to increase the performance my current AGP card ?

Thanks a lot. :D

2. flashmonkey

flashmonkey TS Rookie Posts: 103

What kind of super fun activities/festivities are you looking to do on this computer you speak of?

3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

make sure your a64 is a 90nm process.
    don't cheat yourself: buy a quality name brand motherboard (asus, msi, gigabyte are three good mfgs).

and yes, the intended uses for a computer make a lot of difference when selecting parts.

4. Sandeep_K_Ram

Sandeep_K_Ram TS Rookie Topic Starter

er... well I am not into hi quality games a lot . I play only a couple of such hi quality games and my current AGP handles them satisfactorily.

I need a PC which is really fast at number crunching - since I have to run some apps which do a lot of engineering analysis - something that takes upto 20 or more mins on my current pc. ...

A PC which can handle well a little bit of multitasking , no probs with hiquality audio/video etc etc. :angel:

btw - the winfast mobo is using nfroce chipset I beleive...
    and yes teh 64bit processor is the 90nm winchester. :bounce:

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,916   +345

Although I use an AMD FX-55 in my gaming PC and am quite pleased with its performance, a Pentium 4 processor would be better suited for your applications. Of course, that would mean changing your choice of motherboard, at least the model.

As to PCI-E graphics card, you should give an idea of how much you are willing to spend but you don't need a top end card if you don't game much.

6. Merc14

Merc14 TS Rookie Posts: 171

What are you using now? What kind of budget do you have? How long are you willing to wait before starting your build?

7. flashmonkey

flashmonkey TS Rookie Posts: 103

Since you want number crunching skillz (lol) if you can afford it, buy a better motherboard and get a dual core processor.

8. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

in that case i'd also look at a venice or san diego cored cpu, as they have double the cache of the winchester and have mroe advanced memory controllers. then get yourself 1 or 2 gigs or dual-channel ddr400. i reccomend you get an asus a8n motherboard, which uses the nforce4 chipset and is a generally solid product.

and of course , with an nforce4 mobo, you have the option to get a dual-core cpu. but it may be cost prohibitive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.