Need some final advice on upgrade .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys .

I have decided to upgrade my 32bit PC to a 64 bit one and this is what I have in mind.

Current spec -
P4 2.4GHz , 512MBDDR(400MHz) , INtel 845GBV mobo , 128MB AGP Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4400

I am thinking of two options -

1. AMD 64bit Athlon 3200+ , Winfast NF4K8MC mobo , and a PCIe video card - I have no idea which card to buy.

2. I am not able to get the dual core processor yet here , so I am wondering if I should wait for the 64 bit dual core . I have the 64bit 3800 + Atlhon 64 X2 in mind ..with suitable mobo and graphics card.

Can anyone please tell me what the price of a dual core processor will be ? What about the cost of a suitable mobo ?

Finally - what PCIe card would be a good choice considering that I am looking to increase the performance my current AGP card ?

Thanks a lot. :D

make sure your a64 is a 90nm process.
Winfast NF4K8MC mobo
don't cheat yourself: buy a quality name brand motherboard (asus, msi, gigabyte are three good mfgs).

and yes, the intended uses for a computer make a lot of difference when selecting parts.

er... well I am not into hi quality games a lot . I play only a couple of such hi quality games and my current AGP handles them satisfactorily.

I need a PC which is really fast at number crunching - since I have to run some apps which do a lot of engineering analysis - something that takes upto 20 or more mins on my current pc. ...

A PC which can handle well a little bit of multitasking , no probs with hiquality audio/video etc etc. :angel:

btw - the winfast mobo is using nfroce chipset I beleive...
and yes teh 64bit processor is the 90nm winchester. :bounce:

Although I use an AMD FX-55 in my gaming PC and am quite pleased with its performance, a Pentium 4 processor would be better suited for your applications. Of course, that would mean changing your choice of motherboard, at least the model.

As to PCI-E graphics card, you should give an idea of how much you are willing to spend but you don't need a top end card if you don't game much.

What are you using now? What kind of budget do you have? How long are you willing to wait before starting your build?

Since you want number crunching skillz (lol) if you can afford it, buy a better motherboard and get a dual core processor.

in that case i'd also look at a venice or san diego cored cpu, as they have double the cache of the winchester and have mroe advanced memory controllers. then get yourself 1 or 2 gigs or dual-channel ddr400. i reccomend you get an asus a8n motherboard, which uses the nforce4 chipset and is a generally solid product.

and of course , with an nforce4 mobo, you have the option to get a dual-core cpu. but it may be cost prohibitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back