1. Hello folks,

I need some help with a new system that I purchased. These are the specs:

P4 3.0ghz prescott chip 1MG cache
    -
    -DVD/CDRW burner
    -floppy
    -512RAM
    -64MB AGP Invidia grahpics card (Now)

The problem is this, my nephew has been using this system for 3 months and we had no problems. Now out of no where the computer started shuting down when in the middle of something, usually playing nhl 2003.

So I took it back to the store and they replaced the power supply from 350w to a 400w heavy duty one. It worked for a few days and then the same problem came back.

I took it back to them and they then said it is probably the video card. So I had a 128MB ATI 9200se saphire card in the computer at the time. So I was told the card was taking too much power from the powersupply. So I was given a 64MB Nvidea card and the system worked great, for a few days. Now the computer does not shut down as often but I still have problems with it.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks so much.
  2. XtR-X

XtR-X TS Rookie Posts: 1,040

There are a few factors that can contribute to this. The PSU, even though rated at that high wattage, does not always operate at that level. I know from experience that the lower end ´cheaper´PSUs are horrible and usually can never match a good brand name´s performance.

Also, if this crash is happening during the game, it may be that the computer is overheating. How many fans do you have? How hot is it running?

I should have mentioned this first but check to see if you have any viruses or anything contributing to the problem. My friend had a similar issue and it was due to viruses.

Check the RAM as well, swap it out with something that you know works.

Good luck.
  3. stubmw

stubmw TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well i have a a fan on the cpu and I have a dual fan power supply. I am in the process of reinstalling windows xp without service pack 2 and hopefully that fixes the problem. My nephew is a little uptight because he can't play the one guy we bought this system for. Thanks for ur post so far.

Cheers!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.