Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows xp install -blank monitor

Ok, I have a self built computer
Asus A7A 266 motherboard
Athlon 1.2G processor
ATI all in wonder (rage 128) graphics card
dvd-rw, cd-rw, 2 HD etc
I am currently running win98se (dont ask-there were problems)
I am attempting to upgrade to win xp home

during the install after the first reboot, the monitor screen goes blank and remains that way. I have the xp driver from ATI and unzipped it to an ATI\support folder on the hard drive

im hoping im just overlooking something simple, but i have tried the upgrade several times with the same result

thanks for any help out there

If nobody has a solution for you, nobody will answer.

Also, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, nobody cares for useless post-titles like 'Help me' or 'I need help'.
People want to know WHAT your problem is (otherwise you would not post here in the first place!).
So please, use descriptive titles in any posts you make, OK?

my apologies

Please accept my apologies, i am new to this whole thing here. Thanks for the advice on posting. Thanks in advance for any further advice re: my problem

Are you saying that XP completes the installation and on the first re-boot is when this happens ? ? ?
I'm not sure but i believe XP uses native drivers until the installation has completely finished and then detects and installs vid drivers, so i doubt itt's a video issue...
Have you tried doing the install of XP using the MBoard video to see if that works ? ?
Then after XP finishes a proper install you could power down and install the vid card after everything is up and running.

patio.

bad news, there is no video out on this particular mobo, you must use a vid card, I am thinking that the problem may be bios related. will attempt to upgrade bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back