Need some info for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

william407

hi, i am planing to build my first pc.
i am going to use a biostar TF8200 A2+ mobo, a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, pqi TURBO 2GB of 800, Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive, LG SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner, and a sony floppy, in a Thermaltake
Matrix Case with 400W PSU.
now here is the question, i want to use windows XP home. but will that be a problem with the sata hardware? will xp intall on a sata hard drive?

No problem with XP home, as long as it is a full retail version, not someone elses OEM.

You might require a SATA driver which is supplied with the motherboard if necessary, and is installed from the floppy drive that you have. Very early on in the XP install you get a message saying press F6 to install special drivers (or similar), at which point you press F6 and follow the instructions.

There is sometimes a problem that the keyboard apparently does not work at this point. Use an older PS/2 plug keyboard temporarily if this happens. Others have reported that their keyboard has a function-key shift key, which has also caused grief see here https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=672743 36 posts on the problems you might meet.

I also take this opportunity to advise that you would best subdivide your 300Gb drive into two (or more) partitions, with the main partition for the OS and applications (maybe 30Gb) and the rest for your data, music, games etc. The main reason for this is that you can obtain imaging software (free or paid for - I see Acronis are currently giving away version 8 of true image, as an enticement to upgrade to the latest version 11). With that you just take an image of drive C: from time to time, storing it on drive D: Then when the inevitable happens, after trying and failing to recover from some terrible infestation, you can just restore the image, and in 15 minutes be up and running again, without having to reinstall anything or losing any data.

thank you, but you say to use a full retail version, not someone elses OEM. i had planed to get my own oem copy of XP, will it work?

SATA drives with Windows XP

I install SATA drives using windows XP everyday and have had very little problems.
MSI ask for the drivers that you put on a floppy from your driver CD that comes with your mother board. But that is about it.
You will enjoy the increased speed from the SATA drives immediately if your use to the ide drives.
You will need it when you get that 320 drive almost full.

thank you, but you say to use a full retail version, not someone elses OEM. i had planed to get my own oem copy of XP, will it work?
OEM (original equipment manufacturer) software is the software that comes with your computer. Therefore unless you intend to purchase the Recovery CD from the manufacture (many have these, drivers inclusive!) You will need to purchase the normal retail version. ie h e r e

What? Yes of course.

Xp will install on your system (especially 32bit)
By the way, although MS have extended these sales on Xp, they will not last forever (probably less than a year to go)

So buy Xp whilst you can. Or it's Vista and that's it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back