Need some opinions.

By DrZeto
Apr 3, 2006
  1. Hi, I’ve been offered to buy a computer package from work, but I wanted to ask you guys for some advise before I bought anything. So here are the specs.

24" TFT HP L2465 (1920x1200 @ 60Hz, contrast 1000:1, responsetime 8 ms, 4-port USB2.0 Hub, pivot)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (2x1024 kB L2 cache)
    ATi RS482/SB400 chipset
    2048 MB DDR SDRAM (400 MHz)
    2x250GB SATA 7200rpm
    1x300GB external USB 2.0 (UATA) 7200 rpm drive
    11-in-1 card reader
    DVD±RW/±R/R9 with Lightscribe
    nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX, PCI-Express 512Mb DDR
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi
    TV-card and FM-tuner with remote control
    Wireless network IEEE802.11 b/g
    10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet
    2x Firewire IEEE 1394
    6x USB 2.0
    Speakersystem: Logitech S-200 with subwoofer
    Wireless mouse & keyboard
    Lots of software

Price: 2400 USD

So is the package worth the money? Are there any bottlenecks that makes this setup not worth buying? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I enjoy playing games and watching movies. I hate when new games lag and you have to set the graphics option to "low". So I'm looking for a setup that will cope with new games for the next 3 years to come.
  2. OpTiMuSpRiMe

OpTiMuSpRiMe TS Rookie Posts: 156

no that is a dang nice rig but the price is a little steep though..
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

the price. You could build an identical system for a lot less.
  4. DrZeto

DrZeto TS Rookie Topic Starter

First of all: Thanks for all your replies :) Unfortunately I can't change any components in the package, like the motherboard. But I can choose a smaller TFT monitor. Right now the price is devided like this:

Computer = 1600 USD
    24" TFT monitor = 800 USD

I can choose a smaller TFT monitor like this one:

21" TFT HP f2105 (1680x1050 @ 60 Hz, Widescreen, contrast 1000:1, responsetime 8 ms, 2xUSB 2.0 hub, HDTV-prepared, picture in picture, built in speakers)

Cost = 490 USD

I get a 3 year warranty on this computer package, and I pay a monthly fee (tax-free). At the moment I can't afford to buy all of these components separately to get a better motherboard for example.

So will this rig last for 3 years in a gaming point of view?

Remember, I'm just seeing this rig in a 3-year perspective. After 3 years it's gonna be payed and I can look at another rig. So what should I do? Buy this rig or wait another 18 months until the next offer comes from work?
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Take the package with the 21" TFT, the 21" seems to offer better bang for your buck (ignore the built-in speakers).
    The PC is not the cheapest, but building that yourself will not cost you much less, and you would not have the 3-year warranty either.
    PLUS you get all that software to boot!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.