Need Tips for this Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Residenthalo

Hi, right now I have a really old computer that can't handle the most recent games well at all, so basically this computer would be mainly for gaming. I'm planning to buy a new computer with a new graphics card, but I'm newbie when it comes to computers. So, right now, I've planned to buy a prebuilt PC with a good graphics card, suggested by others from different forums. These are the products I'm looking to buy:

Prebuilt PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109018&Tpk=Compaq Presario SR5510F
$420.00

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pk=PNY - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics Card
$115.00

Would the PC be able to handle this card? I'm not interested in building my own computer, I'd much rather buy a prebuilt one.
My budget is around $600-$700 USD.

P.S.
If you guys can, I would also like to know the power supply that comes with this prebuilt PC, and whether it is enough for the card to handle. I saw on the reviews for the graphics card that one person said to not even bother with using a PSU lower than 450 watts; and if the PSU really isn't sufficient, would I be able to buy a new one and install that one? Could anyone suggest a good/cheap PSU to meet the card's demands?. Thanks!

The video card you link to is not available. OEM computers always have crippled bios and motherboards, with poor power supplies. Any quality ATX power supply, 450 watts or better would be a good upgrade. A good quality video card like the 8800 would work nicely with the upgraded power supply. Be sure to check the motherboard to see just what kind of graphics card the board will accept. I can imagine that a PCIe slot is available

Wait so, basically, if I purchase that PC and that card, then I would have to purchase a stronger PSU? If so, can you please link me to an efficient/cheap PSU on Newegg? Thanks!

You don't have to purchase a stronger PSU, but it would certainly be a wise move. Be sure you pick a quality PCIe 16 video card

You don't have to purchase a stronger PSU, but it would certainly be a wise move. Be sure you pick a quality PCIe 16 video card

Wait, huh? The GeForce 8800 GT I linked to isn't good? Or do you mean something else, I'm sorry, like I said before, I'm pretty newbie at this stuff.
And what would be the downside of keeping the default PSU?

Have you checked your Newegg link to the 8800? That particular board is no longer available. If you choose another PCIe 8800, it will do fine. Is that enough feedback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back