Need to keep rootkit off backup cds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm new here and I was not kidding when I said sony placed a rootkit in the software disc that came the dvd/r/rw that I installed in my computer. My virus software picked it up pretty quick and its no longer there. But I understand that there are files left behind. I don't know what they are or how to find them. My solution to the whole thing is to wipe the hd and start over, my computer is in need of clean up anyway but now its become necessary.

Anyway nero was part of the software package, so I don't know for sure that nero doesn't have the rootkit or wasn't the reason for the rootkit to begin with, so I can't use the nero, don't know for sure the sony burner will work without it. But I can can try a different burner software. Thing is I don't know if its possible that whatever rootkit files that are left won't find their way into whatever software I install so that when I set up the computer again I don't just reinstall another rootkit.

One of the local computer shops around here says there is software out there (they didn't know what it is) somewhere that will pay attention to whats being written on a cd so that I would know if there is a rootkit being written on there, and (finally the question lol) I was wondering does anyone know what it is? If it would be able to stop the rootkit from being actually written on it that would be great too. Thanks for any info.

Carla

greyferret said:
My virus software picked it up pretty quick and its no longer there.

If you're sure of this, then there's no way a rootkit that isn't there can be burned to CD.

greyferret said:
But I understand that there are files left behind. I don't know what they are or how to find them.

Where do you gain this understanding from?
Symantec has a good write up of the rootkit and how to uninstall it manually.
Security Risk.First4DRM

I'd recommend trying a free online virus scan like the one from Trend Micro or this one from Kaspersky.

I could be wrong about files being left, but I did a search on it and found a lot of stuff about sony, geez when will we see the class action suit lol, I'll join!

No seriously I don't know the guys name, but he put out a rootkit revealer as well as some other programs. But the information that I picked up while searching google was that you can't completely uninstall a rootkit without tearing up windows. So I'm going with that info. And if this is true then I just want to back up everything thats important, including mp3s because most of them came from itunes so they're completely legal, w/o backing up rootkit files as well.

I'm going to try your link too..thanks! I'm running za security suite though and the two companies aren't friends... so no idea if I'll be able to run it. Its worth a shot though.
Carla

For the latest info on the rootkit travel to a site called sysinternals....

patio. :cool:

I've got rookit revealer and nothing is showing up. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it then, but after finding info about files left, its a concern. I bought a different burner, on principle if nothing else. Yesterday went to Walmart and every sony cd in the store was half off, I felt like standing there and telling everyone lol, but if a bunch of people find rootkits on their computer I guess Walmart will have something to answer to.

Anyway hopefully once I install the other burner I can back up everything backed up and wipe the hd, until the next rootkit comes along.

Carla

Sony is pulling those CD's off the shelves...Wal-Mart should not be doing this.

I would venture to say it's not legit as Sony has stated they wan't these off the market...

And Walmart might want to make some money off their purchase, but it would be a better idea to just send them back. I'm hoping for the sake of a lot of peoples computers that they are legit and not infected.

I just downloaded some tunes from itunes, and you know how itunes has its own burner, this sony burner blocked it from being used and burned the music, then turned around and ran the cd, w/o asking for permission. I'm running a scan now on both hd and cd. Hopefully its clean, but I don't like not being informed before hand of a cd being ran and not having a cancel button available. Worth a look into options and see whats there. We'll see..

I would spend some time at the link IronDuke was kind enough to provide and read up all you can on the correct removal procedures...
The last thing you want to do is use the un-installer provided by Sony from everything i have read...

Thanx again, Duke !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back