Need to pick your brains on my dell.

By gemini2281
Jul 30, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let me begin by saying that I have a dell dimension 2400. From reading this site I have learned that this is not the best PC to start with but that is all I have. OKay now on to the fun stuff. I want to use this computer for dual purposes. I am not a hardcore gamer but i like to play the Sims 2 and would like it to have at least decent graphics. I don't know anything about the power supply but I know that is an important factor. I have learned that I will probably need a new motherbord and power supply. I want to get an intel pentium processor but right now I have a celeron. If I buy a new motherboard would I be able to keep my same processor until I get a new one(basically would that be a compatible upgrade?) Last I have dell memory, would I need to buy a different kind of memory? Sorry I am asking so much but I really don't want to ruin this. I am just not sure what components of this system are salvageable.
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I recently replaced a motherboard, cpu, ram, video card, psu, etc in a dell 2300.

If you get a socket 478 motherboard it should support your current celeron, while supporting newer p4's too.

You should have standard ddr ram in a 2400 IIRC.

If you need more help I can give more info.

The front usb won't work if you replace the mobo, the connector's non standard, and the power button needs a little modding to get it to work with a non dell mobo, but it's not too hard(if a 2400 is like a 2300).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.