Need to recover my win xp cd key, help me please

By olsrey5
Jun 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone, I need to recover my win xp but I have formated my hard drive so I can't recover it from registry. I really dont want to have to pay Microsoft to get it back after paying £100 almost to buy the software. Thanks in advance to anyone who replys.
  2. Grok451

Grok451 Newcomer, in training Posts: 122

You don't have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) with the key printed on it, which should have come with the software when you purchased it? If you don't have that, you're pretty much out of luck.
  3. olsrey5

olsrey5 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

You must be joking cause my wife through it in the bin with out knowing what the hell it was.
  4. Grok451

Grok451 Newcomer, in training Posts: 122

Yikes! :eek: Looks like your wife owes you some money! :D
  5. alphnumeric

alphnumeric Newcomer, in training Posts: 209

6. Spike

Spike Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,371

unfortunately, he said the machine was formatted, ans so no registry to find the key from.

Makes you wonder really.
  7. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

Not much help to you now but on a working system this will a HTML page which includes keys.

Make a note for when you get a system up and running. :(
  8. blaacksheep

blaacksheep Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

Sounds like you'll be "upgrading" to XP Pro like most of the people here. :cool:
  9. GreenEyedSoul

GreenEyedSoul Newcomer, in training

if you still need it...

Send me a message, I'll help you.
  10. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Is this an OEM machine by chance, such as an HP, Gateway, or Dell? if so, the COA should be attached to the case somewhere. If not and you don't have the documentation it was attached to, you're out of luck.
  11. olsrey5

olsrey5 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi, thanks for all the replys but looks like I'm out of luke if 'GreenEyedSoul' cant help but thanks anyway. Oh yea its a machine I built myself.

12. GreenEyedSoul

GreenEyedSoul Newcomer, in training

done...

I've sent you an email to your hotmail account, follow the instructions in it. And don't forget to tell me if it worked.

Edited by realblackstuff: taken the email-address out.
    NEVER publish an email address in a public place like a forum!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.