Need to reinstall windows 8 after mobo replacement?

boagz

Hi all. I recently RMA'd a motherboard from asus (asus sabertooth z87) and have received a new one. I have installed it and I am up and running. Windows 8 has booted fine and everything except it seems there is no detection of my Ethernet connection. I was wondering if this could have something to do with drivers since I technically got a new motherboard even though its still a sabertooth z87. Do I need to reinstall OS? Can I just try to update LAN drivers? Any help is appreciated! thanks!

Thanks! Unfortunately I updated the drivers and I still cant get my computer to recognize the Ethernet cable. Is there anything I could try? If not, Can I still get wireless internet?

What errors are you seeing? Is there a listing for Network Adapter in the Device Manager?

System BIOS should have Ethernet enabled.
Drivers should be installed with the correct network protocols.
Check and see if Network Discovery is enabled within Advanced Sharing settings.
Last but not least check to see if the Ethernet is enabled within the OS.

After trouble shooting it says a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken. In device manager there is a network adapter section and both intel ethernet connection and Microsoft kernel debug network adapter are working properly. LAN controller is enabled in bios. Network discovery is enabled. How do I see if ethernet is enabled within OS?

How do I see if ethernet is enabled within OS?
Actually in order to get the "network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken" error, the network has to be enabled. Are you certain the cable is not damaged and the contacts are clean? Check the Ethernet port on the motherboard, to see if all the pins are straight.

Edit: scratch that, you answered as I was asking. :/

Unless the pins in the port are bent or dirty.

Well thanks for your help. Looks like then my ethernet port on my motherboard is busted. So frustrating considering it took 3 and a half weeks for the rma process and now this board is defective as well. Freaking asus.

Before you try anything else open Device Manager and remove the Network Driver. Then reboot and let Windows detect and set the driver back up. There is a chance that a glitch could be corrected this way.

Okay. Should I uninstall both the intel ethernet connection and the Microsoft kernel debug network adapter? These are what show up under network adapter.

Remove one and then check to see if the other was removed as well. If not then remove both, they should set back up after re-booting. And if they don't you can manually install from the downloaded driver.

Okay I will try. And if that doesn't work what would be the best thing to get? Should I get a USB to ethernet port or a wireless adapter of some sort? Is one better than another?

Okay. I guess I want whatever would be faster and better for online gaming. Probably the add on cards then huh?

Addin cards come both wireless and wired. USB sticks come both as well, however USB-to-Ethernet is not the most common. To answer your question, wired is the fastest and most secure.

With wireless there can be several disconnects, especially if you are in an area with several other wireless signals. Wired networking is by far the most secure as it would require a physical connection to the network. With that said, you would just about need to have a target painted on your back to be worried about network security.

Okay so how bout I went out and bought a USB network adapter, plugged it in and got drivers and computer STILL is not recognizing anything. There has got to be something I am missing

Na, I ended up calling verizon and found that my ethernet port on my router is busted. Thanks for the help though guys

Back