TechSpot

need to repair but don't have a windows xp disk

By Caryn S.
Jan 11, 2007
  1. Hi,

I have been getting repeated bsod all day to the point where my system constantly restarts. I had various error messages and now the one I get is nfts.sys failure. I want to repair with a Windows XP Home disk, but I didn't get one with my computer. I have the registration key. Is there anything I can do? I only have access to a Windows XP Pro CD.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Caryn S,
    this could be a hard drive failure. You can use the XP Pro CD, but you may have to do a fresh XP install if you use it

3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Which version of Windows XP is it ? If you have a Genuine key, it proves you've properly purchased the OS so I think it would be alright for you to download it somewhere (don't ask where, figure that one out yourself) & use your genuine key during the install.

Or maybe you can contact Microsoft, give them a proof of purchase & ask for a replacement CD.

4. sine184

sine184 TS Enthusiast Posts: 35

xp

I don't think you can use legal reg key to register a non walid wersion of XP

So I would also suggest using XP pro CD and try doing a repair

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes,
    Caryn S. would have to use the key provided on the XP Pro CD she has access to

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.