Need to retrieve files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonkyboy

Hi Guys,

I dont know if I'm posting this in the right area, but I think so.

I have a PC here that must have some files retrieved after a power failure has caused Windows XP not to load anymore. When you start up it just restarts all the time and never gets anywhere. Thats not the real problem here. There are some VERY valuable files on the hard drive which have not been backed up. Trouble is they are in 5 different user accounts. I have put in a new hard drive with a clean Windows XP install, and slaved in the original HDD, and have managed to get most of the files needed.

Unfortunately, one of the accounts is giving me a message "D:\ Docs..etc.. is not accessible. Access is Denied. The account that is doing this does not have a password, but it was the account that was logged on when the power went down. The account is not an administrator account. There is only one admin account, and that is accessible.

The hard drive is usable, and will be used as the main drive again (hopefully), but these files must not be lost, and I am not prepared to risk putting Windows XP over the top and hope for the best (not yet anyway). The recovery options that are available are all destructive. This is a bit annoying as there is often non destructive option, but not on this.

I hope there is someone who can help.

Thanks.

Please take a look in the WIndows OS forum. Take notice of the threads featuring bold and all uppercase text..

Thank you very much. One quick look in the right forum, and 5 minutes later I had the files I needed.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back