TechSpot

Need to upgrade

By clytndn
Mar 8, 2009
  1. User Built
    CPU: Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
    Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
    Mem: 2Gigs 800Mhz
    Video: Galaxy GeForce 9600 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, DVI, HDTV, HDMI
    HDD: 300Gig Western Digital Velocoraptor
    This pretty much the system that I have (other than a couple of DVD RW players) and I really need to upgrade my power supply as I keep getting blue screens and was told this is probably the reason why.
    The case I bought came with a power supply AND it had a PCI-E 6-pin connector so why would I need anything bigger right? Wrong! I didn't read the specs on the new video card and it requires at least 400W power supply and a combined 26A at 12V which I don't have (mine is a 330W w/12V@12A.
    Any suggestions to exactly which power supply I should get would be extremely helpful as I am power supply stupid and there are so many to chose from!
    I have bought all my computer stuff through compusa.com and have a gift certificate that will cover some of the cost so I would appreciate any suggestions come from them if possible.
    Thanks So Much!

2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

3. redk

redk TS Rookie Posts: 91

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

You could go with this PSU instead and save a little cash. It will also be able to handle two 9600GTs with ease, in case you want to go SLI.

5. clytndn

clytndn TS Member Topic Starter

Thanks to all for your help! I will go with one of these.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.