TechSpot

Need upgrades fo Oblivion but am not sure what I need

By Marker
Apr 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just bought the newest Elderscrolls game, Oblivion, but I can't run it. I think I need more system RAM (Box says I need 512MB but I only have 510 MB). How do I install it and what type should I buy? Also, does anyone know if the IntelĀ® 82865G image chip will work? I can never figure out which chip is compatible with what. I bought Dungeon Lords, but the game can't use the IntelĀ® 82865G chip so I wasted forty bucks :mad: . I can run Elderscrolls III on my computer, but I know I need more system RAM. Help.

P.S. I'm not a real techie kind of guy. I mostly use the computer to play games.

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

There's no such thing as 510MB of RAM. You have 512, it's probably just being displayed that way because of on board video or something. Memory is the least of your problems. You're going to need a new video card as well. What type of CPU do you have?

3. Marker

Marker TS Rookie Topic Starter

Image chip

My CPU is a Pentium 4 2.80 GHz. I bought the computer last August so it should be fairly modern (I know, 6 months and a computer is obselete!)

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I've gotten Oblivion to use about 1.2 GB of RAM when outdoors, so 512 MB might make things too slow.

But your real problem is the graphics card, you'll need a faster one.

5. sjps220

sjps220 TS Rookie Posts: 129

you need to figure out whether you have any AGP, or PCI-E slots on your motherboard. This will determine what kind of graphics card you can get.

6. Marker

And that means...

Unfortunately, I don't know what an AGP or PCI-E slot is. Where can I find this out?

7. bradthegreat

bradthegreat TS Rookie Posts: 141

8. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

That shows AGP and PCI not PCI-Express.

Marker, where did the machine come from? You should be able to find the specs online. You can also open the case and have a look inside.

If you go to Newegg and look at the motherboards you can see what a PCI-E slot looks like.

9. Marker

Machine's from Dell

I ordered the machine from Dell online through a program at work. I have the specs (CPU processor, video chip, etc.) and should go to Dell, I'm guessing? Thanks for all the help so far. I wish I knew this stuff when I bought it (And I wish for a pony while, I'm at it).

10. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

Download cpuz Unzip all the files. Then run the one named cpuz with the icon, then click the mainboard tab, then under Graphic Interface

Were It says Link Width

If it says 16X then It's PCI-E
    If it says 8x then it's AGP

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.