TechSpot

Need urgent help - Netsky virus

By jellyhead
Mar 9, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A friend turned her pc on to find that all her program files had gone - IE6 included. I brought it over to my house, formatted the drive, re-installed Win98 and plugged it into my router (Bigpond cable). On start up I'd get a msg saying something about an vbix file not being found. So I thought I'd upgrade to WinMe thinking that missing file would be re-installed. About 10% into setup of WinME it stopped with an error msg SU0325. Checked this on google and found a MS KB article about it being possibly a virus or trojan but most likely a damaged or dirty cd. I shut the pc down and intended leaving it for another day. Now the CD is scratched a fair bit BUT about 1/2 hour later up pops an alert on my pc's screen VET has discovered a resident virus NetSky. My question is if my friend's pc WAS infected could it have passed through to my pc through the router? Also, assuming it was a virus that caused all the program files to go missing, does a re-format not fix this, or is a new hard drive required or what? It's not possible to connect to the net to get a removal tool. Also when I did have Win98 running on my friend's pc I typed cmd in "run" and it wouldn't run dos but would re-start in DOS mode. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

you said you formatted and reinstalled, then connected to your network. I have yet to meet a virus that could survive a proper format.
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

No, if this happened during ME install - its networking isn't enabled when it's in installing stage. If it happened after installation, it still sounds unlikely, as you said the drive was formatted (see StormBringer's reply).

Netsky is a virus that is transferred via e-mail as an executable, so the only way you can get infected is by running the attachment app or by having an e-mail app that does it automatically.

Win98 doesn't use cmd, but command.com instead (Can be found from Start Menu - Accessories if I remember correctly). You can configure it not to use MS-DOS mode via its properties.
  4. Subsane

Subsane TS Rookie

probably unrelated but I get about 10 emails a day that are infected with that netsky virus....really annoying I can't pinpoint where it's coming from....doesn't matter how many times I block the sender.
  5. jellyhead

jellyhead TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

Thanks for all your help guys. The PC is now up and running with the HP Recovery Disk. Now if I could just find an ethernet card that works I can do all the updates on my cable, rather than my friend's dial up. There's a truckload of ethernet adaptors in the TCP/IP settings - HP ones - which I thought were onboard but it won't pick up the LAN connection. Never mind :S
  6. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 446

You can pick one up for cheap to hold you over until you get a proper one...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.