Need Video Card Suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am new to these forums and was just looking for some advice on a new graphics card for my PC.

I bought my computer a few years ago from Ibuypower
Specs:
1. Motherboard - ABIT KV8 Pro (VIA K8T800P-8237)
2. Graphic interface - AGP version 3.0 Transfer Rate 8x / Max Supported 8x
3. Memory - DDR 1024 MBytes
4. CPU - AMD Athalon 64 3000+
5. CPU Speed - Core Speed 2043.1 MHz

Now, I really know nothing about what to get or what I need... I play nothing but Games on this Comp. I have DX 9.0c on it at the moment, and would like something that can run DX 10.

Games I play are. Call of Duty 4 - WoW - EvE Online - Rfactor - Test Drive Unlimited. Unno.. all the newer games I can't really play because my system is hurting.

I have just purchased 2 x 1GB Memory cards from Newegg here is the link to them.. I'm not really sure if they are the right kind but im guessing they are.

/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145575

sry can't post links yet since im new.. just add www dot newegg dot com to the front

And I was reading something about PCI and AGP slots or whatever and that if you have a PCI you can't use the new cards? I'm not sure... I think that my comp has PCI Slots.. I really don't know..

And my Budget is around $200.00

Why I am hear to learn and get some help so I can play some great games and enjoy how they look!

Well, that's it.. Thank you for any help any of you might have for my situation.

Unfortunately, I would not recommend that system going up to Vista + DX10 without a total overhaul (i.e. all new computer).

You can upgrade to improve some of your game performance, but not sure if you would rather save your money and apply it towards a whole new computer. Also, the power supply and cooling would be suspect as adding beefier hardware will require more power and better cooling... and it's anyone's guess what power supply you have and how many amps/watts it's rated at for upgrades.

Your motherboard is AGP so it can take a more powerful videocard, such as the Radeon X1900 series or Geforce 7900 series. These would be a huge upgrade from the 9600, but your CPU would likely also not let you get the maximum from those cards, plus the power supply issue.

I'd start by inspecting your power supply- see what brand/model it may be and if you want to save up for a total system upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back