TechSpot

Needed IDE hard drives

By ruready2
Sep 1, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello fellow techies... I am in need of IDE hard drives. 40gb or better please. 10 or more would be great but, not a prerequisite. Need a good price. These hard drives will be installed on computers I am getting from members of a local church and will be donated to a local children's home once complete.

Thanks,
  2. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 629   +14

I would hav a few but they are 2.6-16Gb :/ would they be of any help? (that you would get for the shipping costs)
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,819   +651

Where are you? -location. I have a stack of 80 and 120Gb WD and Seagate IDE's ( a few still under warranty).
  4. ruready2

ruready2 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 219

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Your offer is most generous sir. Unfortunately I do not believe I would be able to use them due to size. I truly appreciate your offer. It is very kind of you to offer them for shipping cost only.

I am in the US. South Carolina to be more specific.
  5. DjKraid

ok, I can see if I could find some bigger hdds :) -it may take some time thou...

what os r u going to use?
  6. ruready2

I will be installing Xp pro.. THanks again..
  7. DjKraid

why not go with free os like ubuntu or something like that? -it's also easier to maintain...
  8. ruready2

Thank you for the suggestion. However, in addition to pleasure, the computers will be used for training purposes to prepare the children for courses at school and the work force in general. The majority of the work force here utilizes windows operating systems. Also, a local corporation has donated a Windows corporate disc which allows unlimited installs. Again, thank you for the suggestion.
  9. dividebyzero

Is there a time constraint involved?
    I can ship you around a dozen drives, but weight considerations would make the cost of air freight exhorbitant. If you could afford to wait while they were surface shipped, and didn't mind paying postage you can have the drives free of charge.
  10. ruready2

Wow.. you are so very generous. Actually, there is no certain date in which the computers must be completed. I am only to give one week notice prior to completion so that a presentation can be arranged. Please let me know the details of what I need to do and what information to give you. Also, I would like to include you in the acknowledgments at the presentation. I am sure this has no bearing on your willingness to donate the drives but, I would like for those involved to know about you and your generosity. I am so very grateful to you sir. I will send you a private message containing my email address. Thank you again.
  11. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,052   +84 Staff Member

That's pretty kind of you divide. :grinthumb

Be sure to keep the thread updated ruready2. When you have all the drives you need we'll close it.

12. ruready2

Will do and you are absolutely correct about devide's kindness. I only recently became involved with such things after learning of the need but, the outpouring of support has been tremendous. It's great to learn there are still people in the world with genuine concern for their fellow man.
  13. dividebyzero

No problem.
    I'll start checking out the drives I have here just to make sure they are clear of bad sectors and are quiet.
    I'll email you with the shipping quote as soon as I have the package together.
  14. ruready2

Thank you again and I will await your reply.
  15. lpmjames

lpmjames Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

YO you still waiting/in need of drives.. cause i have a few ..
  16. dividebyzero

Maybe ruready2 might take you up on the offer. The drives I offered him are still waiting for a new home but I think our poster has been put off by the shipping costs (maybe).
  17. ruready2

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this topic. It seems that many of the computer donated either did not work at all or needed components or other parts. I had no idea people would donate such things knowing the intentions of the machines. Nevertheless, I was able to work out a deal with a local small computer repair shop to get used but working parts as they obtained them. We have finally got the computers in a working state. I have had to either alternate drives or use a live cd to accomplish many of the task.

I want to thank dividebyzero for his offer for the drives. I have received a few monetary donations to assist in the cost of shipping the drives but, not nearly enough. The project, while back on track now, had to be put on a back burner while awaiting parts. I will continue to work on this. In the mean time this thread can be closed as I will contact those who have offered to donate drives via pm or email.

Thanks again to all who have offered to help. Your kindness and generosity is greatly appreciated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.