Neowin: Is Windows Phone about to go big?

Neowin

If you’ve been reading the news recently you might be forgiven for thinking that Windows Phone is in a very dire situation, and that Microsoft could even abandon it in the near future. IDC, for instance, reported that Microsoft’s mobile OS saw a somewhat significant decline in the number of phones shipped last quarter and consequently saw a decline in global marketshare.

Based on the same data, a number of major publications such as The Wall Street Journal, started claiming that not only was Windows Phone essentially dead – with other “financial investment” websites telling Microsoft to kill off the OS – but that there simply is no place for a third phone platform in the market.

Operating System 2Q14 Shipment Volume 2Q14 Market Share 2Q13 Shipment Volume 2Q13 Market Share Growth
Android 255.3 84.7% 191.5 79.6% 33.3%
iOS 35.2 11.7% 31.2 13.0% 12.7%
Windows Phone 7.4 2.5% 8.2 3.4% -9.4%
BlackBerry 1.5 0.5% 6.7 2.8% -78.0%
Others 1.9 0.6% 2.9 1.2% -32.2%
Total 301.3 100% 240.5 100% 25.3%

Read the complete article.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

I'd love to see a successful Windows phone but Android is just the way to go these days.

I think Windows 9 will help push WP with the start menus looking almost the same as the phone. I hope W9 let you use transparent tiles like WP. I would love that my phone and computer at least look like they share something.

I'd love to see a successful Windows phone but Android is just the way to go these days.

The platform plagued by viruses, malware and otherwise low-quality software? No, thank you, I will stay with iOS.

There are alot of Windows Phone supporters & users out in the wild, and others that have made the switch --- only to revert back to iOS or Android because of the lack of app developent. Point is, there are things people like about the OS, but it's just a crippled ecosystem {insert mileage may very remark}. Microsoft's "Universal" app push is the ONLY thing that stands a chance to save there mobile OS. Fact of the matter is, Windows [9] Threshold HAS to be a hit in order to save Windows Phone. And when I say a "hit", I mean it has to create a functional, welcoming and intuitive way for users to enjoy the desktop experience, while still being able to use apps in a way that makes you actually WANT to use the apps from the Windows Store --- because let's face it, Windows is still a "Desktop" first OS. If Microsoft pulls this off, it SHOULD boost app development which should in turn boost apps available for XBOX One & Windows Phone --- because why not go ahead and do the exta "10%" of coding to make the app function on 3 Microsoft platforms.

The platform plagued by viruses, malware and otherwise low-quality software? No, thank you, I will stay with iOS.

For you kind information, the devices getting effected by viruses is directly proportional to the idiocy of user. It's not the fault of OS. Android or iOS both are based on _nix platform and should behave similarly. With the passage of time, iOS has adapted to the underlying hardware more coherently than Android. The reason probably be the NO fragmentation scenario.

Remove the tiles
Perfect idea -- remove the distinctive feature that makes the phone more efficient to navigate and use. Seriously, I needy phone to actually get things done and quickly. I don’t have time to scroll through pages of icons, etc to navigate and get status on what I need. Windows Phone has been the most efficient and productive phone I have ever owned.

Remove the tiles
Perfect idea -- remove the distinctive feature that makes the phone more efficient to navigate and use. Seriously, I needy phone to actually get things done and quickly. I don’t have time to scroll through pages of icons, etc to navigate and get status on what I need. Windows Phone has been the most efficient and productive phone I have ever owned.
I have a better idea, remove the guest feature

When you close-down your OS to where you can't do what you want to do, the effect is that people find another OS to do what they want to do.
Because MS closed their system and removed most notable features, people went elsewhere.

The most notable feature I'm currently thinking of is the ability to sync DIRECTLY with outlook on your computer.

Good job MS, now die please...because you did this to yourself.

I would have had a great experience with a Windows phone if it had`t been for the extremely bad quality of the hardware. It`s Nokia and not Samsung these days that sets the standards for low quality trash handsets. Their policies regarding warranty is even worst. Case in point: they wouldn`t change my phone with the touchscreen constantly freezing because apparently you can just hard reset it and it works again.
I`m sorry if this seems like ranting. It`s bad experiences that drive you off a certain product and the truth is even if I like the interface and I believe Windows OS has a great potential, there hasn`t been a good phone yet to promote it in terms of premium build quality and top specs.

I don't understand why Windows Phone sales are so poor. I have been using one for a while and I much prefer it to anything with Android or any iPhone. The Nokia Drive software and other apps are fantastic.
Every time I read these bad stats I think I must be in a parallel universe.

Windows came very late to the show, like its the case with Microsoft these days. It is not so much about quality as it is about timing. If only it add like 5 times as many apps, people won't complain. One more thing, its up to you what software you install. Android and IOS have thousands of poorly written apps.

Google also makes their low-quality sotware availible for shitPhone and I bet millions of people are using it every day, so your iPhone has it too. Your ignorance is at it's peak if you think your crappy OS doesn't have viruses, malware and other bloat. It's not hard to find articles about iPhone having potential security issues.

I don't understand why Windows Phone sales are so poor. I have been using one for a while and I much prefer it to anything with Android or any iPhone. The Nokia Drive software and other apps are fantastic.
Every time I read these bad stats I think I must be in a parallel universe.

I now have two phones in my pocket: a windows phone 8 and a jelly bean 4.3 phone. While the android's ecosystem amazes me, I quickly return to windows phone when all the apps that I need are available. Here Drive (or formerly Nokia Drive) is simply amazing. When I travel overseas and use its offline maps and capable navigation, the application is worth more than what I paid for my phone.

The sad thing about windows phone is the very few number of devices available for purchase. If say my windows phone were to breakdown today, I'd have a very difficult time finding its replacement. I love windows phone 8 OS, but I used to love the 7.8 OS more because it is far more stable and snappy.

Back