Neowin: Microsoft Lumia 640 XL review

Neowin

neowin microsoft lumia neowin review lumia 640 xl

Many Windows Phone fans desperate for a mighty new flagship have looked on in horror as Microsoft has instead launched one entry-level handset after another in recent months. After rolling out the Lumia 535 at the end of 2014, the company’s low-end line-up has swelled to include the Lumia 430 Dual SIM, Lumia 435, Lumia 532 and Lumia 540, while slightly older devices like the Lumia 530, Lumia 630 and Lumia 635 also remain on sale around the world.

At MWC 2015 in March, Microsoft unveiled two more affordable handsets: the Lumia 640 and Lumia 640 XL. But before you write these devices off as just another pair of low-end Windows Phones, let me stop you right there.

I wouldn’t blame you at all for simply rolling your eyes at the arrival of two more affordable handsets. But over the last few weeks, I’ve been testing both the Lumia 640 and its bigger brother, and while neither one is perfect, each of them is worth a closer look.Today we're taking a look at the larger Lumia 640 XL.

Specs & design

In the year leading up to the acquisition of its devices and services business by Microsoft, Nokia worked hard to bring down the prices of its most affordable Lumia handsets. The problem with many of its cheapest devices was that it was never hard to see where Nokia had cut corners to reduce costs. There was a lot to like about devices like the Lumia 630, for example, but it was hard to really love such handsets when they were missing basic features like a front-facing camera, an ambient light sensor, or even an LED flash for the rear cam.

Read the complete review.

Permalink to story.

Back