Neowin: Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop review

Neowin

The seismic shift in personal computing over the last decade has dramatically changed the role that the desktop PC plays in our lives. For many, the only physical keyboards that they now use are attached to laptops, or connected to their tablets to improve input on touch-based devices.

But the death of the desktop PC isn’t quite upon us yet, and for as long as they exist, there will be a need for accessories to satisfy the needs of consumers and businesses alike.

Microsoft remains one of the largest providers of keyboards and mice, with a range encompassing a broad spectrum of price points, including both wired and wireless devices, and even some designed for mobile usage to support the steadily growing selection of Windows tablets that are making their way onto the market.

One of the most notable additions to its range was announced this past summer, in the form of a desktop set that continues a long and proud tradition of ergonomic peripherals from the company.

View the full review.

This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

I've been interested in the keyboard for a while, and I'd love to pick one up if the price drops. I think most of the keyboard criticisms in the article aren't a big deal (for me, at least). I love the function switch because I never use keyboard media buttons. The layout of the 'del', 'home', etc. keys might be a little annoying, but I think I'd grow accustomed to that pretty quickly.

One of the greatest parts of the keyboard, that was glossed over in the review, is the fact that the numpad is modular. A lot of people naturally center the keyboard with their monitor, and end up typing with their hands angled to the left (because the primary keys end up NOT being centered with the monitor).

I'd skip the mouse... I'm satisfied with my Logitech mouse products.

I've been interested in the keyboard for a while, and I'd love to pick one up if the price drops. I think most of the keyboard criticisms in the article aren't a big deal (for me, at least). I love the function switch because I never use keyboard media buttons. The layout of the 'del', 'home', etc. keys might be a little annoying, but I think I'd grow accustomed to that pretty quickly.

One of the greatest parts of the keyboard, that was glossed over in the review, is the fact that the numpad is modular. A lot of people naturally center the keyboard with their monitor, and end up typing with their hands angled to the left (because the primary keys end up NOT being centered with the monitor).

I'd skip the mouse... I'm satisfied with my Logitech mouse products.
I love the concept but any time I have tried these keyboards, I'm reminded that I actually press the B button with my right hand. Anyone notice this is a German keyboard yet?

So is this one of those ugly designer keyboards? Looks like it and it looks worse than that dell curvy keyboard I used in high school god awe full keyboards!

I have one of these desktop sets (I am using it to type this reply!). The keyboard may look strange but after a few minutes use it is one of the most comfortable products I have ever used. The modular num-pad is fantastic! All these years using my right hand to input numbers, I am now converted into using the num-pad on the left instead & this is MUCH faster and more natural to me even though I am right handed. The smaller cursor keys other utility buttons (PGUp, PGDn, Home, End, etc) are positioned a little strange at first but after a while you get used to them. The split space bar though is a nice touch and there are no mistakes when using either thumb to space.

The mouse feels strange at first coming from totally different mice such as the Arc and Arc Touch, but after a while the comfort factor of it is much better for long sessions at the desk. The "Windows" button is handy at times but I forget it is there a lot of the time and revert to the old fashioned way of clicking the Start button on the GUI.

The dual USB adaptor saves on having to use separate ports which is very handy if you use a notebook or Surface at times on the desk as well (which I do & as I plug the adaptor into one of the top ports on my desktop, it is a simple task of unplugging it and putting it in to the other device I am using).

I now struggle on other keyboards as I have now got used to the Sculpt Desktop! Even using the Arc Desktop kit I have on one of my TV's feels weird!

Back