Neowin: Microsoft updates Windows Defender, fries Superfish adware

By Neowin
Feb 20, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. This week has been one that Lenovo would love to forget after it was discovered that software they were loading onto laptops opened a huge security hole in Windows. The adware, called Superfish, placed its own security certificate on your machine and...

Read more
  2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,136   +480

Props to Microsoft (not something that happens too often)
  3. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Stopped using defender completely since it has no PuP scanning option. Traditional virus infections is a thing of the past and doesnt happen at all anymore.
    What really is a problem is the super ultra mega optimizer pro 2000 +9000 all-in-one registry booster virus cleaner and malware destroyer Tm. now with 200% more bullpoop included gauranteed to make your computer 90X faster and make web pages load quicker even if you are not connected to the internet.

Every single computer I see lately is just littered with these junk apps to the point where a web browser takes 2minutes to open with 90 coupon extensions etc..

Bottom line, Avast antivirus kills these things FAR better than MSSE does, wish microsoft would step up their game properly.
    indianacarnie likes this.
  4. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 245   +68

I would
    In this case, I wouldn't blame Microsoft all that much. Lenovo knowingly placed this in their systems, and for what????
  5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,498   +673

Big slap on their little pee pee!!!
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

Just curious, how did this post go from damning Windows Defender, to an assault on MSSE?

Besides, I've never actually heard an Avast user that wasn't willing to fight to the death claiming, "it's the best".

Moving on, I'd be almost willing to bet all the crapware, is burned into the Lenovo restore discs. If you ever have to reformat, it will be reinstalled, and you're back to square one.

Lenovo should show that its heart is in the right place, go through the restore discs, and if they've got a bunch a garbage on them, reburn them, and offer a free set to its registered laptop owners.

That's not a joke. If I reformat my ancient eMachines, I get AOL installed, over and over, and over again...:mad:
  7. valentyn0

valentyn0 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Avast is ****, did u come here to promote it ? There is already a FREE (comes even preloaded with win 8) antivirus and malware protection, guess what's it called ? Yea, the one u called it doesnt have PUP scanning (which it does, MSE is incorporated into win def on win8 and later)...
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Potentially unwanted Programs, you mean programs like Google Chrome?
    Because Microsoft relabels MSSE to Windows Defender. They are the same thing now.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

IDKT. My MSSE is set to auto update.

But, I was thinking along the lines of Windows, "Malicious Software Removal Tool", which AFAIK, is still a separate entity. That would be the software which, (theoretically / allegedly), should be addressing itself to PuPs, and the like.