TechSpot

Neowin: QNAP TS-451 review, storage and virtualization in one

By Neowin
Aug 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There's a wide range of NAS options available now. There's Atom-based devices like the four bay Synology DS414; there's PowerPC based devices like the two bay Thecus N2310; and there's Intel-based devices like the five bay Thecus N5550. While the number of...

Read more

2. I do like the idea of having a home virtualization host, but with those specs, I can't help but wonder how well it'll perform. With a 2.4Ghz Celeron and 1GB of RAM, you'll likely be able to run two or three basic Linux VMs without issue, but anything even moderately resource intensive will really take a drag.

Still, it's a cool idea, and with upgraded RAM, it could be pretty usable too.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

This product is overpriced next to its competition. And they charge for the model with 4GB of RAM an additional $60 over the model with 1GB. That's a rip-off.

If they are trying to create a competition to Synology DS414, they should be asking for the same money, and not for a 30% premium.

Virtualization on such a weak device is a crazy idea, it is nothing but a marketing stunt.

Another thing that's no good. They keep releasing new devices claiming automatic transcoding to TV of any video, while at the same time nobody supports HEVC :( I got many HEVC videos already, and their number is growing. When will they wake up?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,216   +1,240

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

In most cases it still lags behind DS414, which costs 30% less. In conclusion it says:
    This means not only I cannot get my 60fps videos to play properly, but I can forget about playing any 4K video, and even 1080P recorded in x265.