Neowin: Sony Xperia Z3 and Magnetic Dock review

Neowin

I've long been a Samsung smartphone user, previously owning the Galaxy S2, S3, Note II and Note 3. I became accustomed to the way Samsung presented their devices both in terms of hardware and software and that worked for me for the most part. Where it didn't work I knew I could customize the look and feel to my liking, after all customisation is what Android is all about.

I was eager to check out the Note 4 or possibly the Note Edge, but ultimately they didn't live up to my personal expectation of what I wanted in my next handset. Enter the Xperia Z3... It looked excellent on paper and was the first time a Sony smartphone grabbed my interest, fond memories of my ancient Sony CMD J5 flashed through my mind.

I wasn't fussed about it not having a 2K resolution screen like the LG G3, having held that device I found it to be too big and plasticky and while the screen was something to behold I didn't feel it offered a significant step away from the Note 3. I wanted a genuine upgrade from that phablet without sacrificing too much of why I loved it which, let's not beat around the bush, is still a powerhouse of a handset against current flagships.

Read the complete review.

Permalink to story.

After two iterations of Nexus devices (4 and 5) I'm now waiting for one of these to be delivered. Maybe Nexus 6 will blow it away but this is a hell of a nice premium handset that I can hopefully keep for a few years without problem.

A great device. Was eagerly awaiting the Z2 here in the USA, but it never came....so I went from Note2 to Note3. Not sure what happened with the Z2 and thought the timing of the Z3 was strange, but now that it is slated to come to carriers here it's fine with me. The Note3 is great, but it will be replaced once the Z3 is available.

Back