TechSpot

Neowin's Week in Microsoft: Microsoft's future, OnePlus 2, and love of a low-end Lumia

By Neowin
Feb 1, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. 7 Days is a weekly round-up of Neowin Editors' picks of what's been happening in the world of technology - written with a dash of humor, a hint of exasperation, and an endless supply of (Irish) coffee.

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

It's rumored that Win 7 & 8 users will be automatically be upgraded to Win 10 free of charge, I say rumored because a lot of things can happen and change from now until Win 10's final release yet I find myself completely unexcited about it. I'm not gonna waste my time and bandwidth downloading a copy of the developer preview, I'll just wait for the final release to see what all the screaming and shouting is all about.

3. It's going to be a free upgrade for one year then it will have either a subscription option, a one-time fee, or both. I'm waiting to see what the upgrade price is going to be but it's great to see MS take steps to speed up the adoption process!

4. Since when does "announced at an official Microsoft event" equals "rumored"?
    They can't revert that now without causing a huge PR crisis, it will be both cheaper and better for their brand if they just carry on with what was announced, so they even have incentivo to not change that.

5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 908   +384

MS goes the subscription route, I'm done with MS. I've had Microsoft OS's, since DOS 3.1, but, a subscription model? NOPE. I'll move to a Linux OS, or Apple & run what programs that require MS in a virtual OS.
    Unless the subscription model is less in 2-3 years, versus buying it outright, I'll switch, but, considering (at least in the USA) consumers are so poor in economics, they still pay out the nose for a "two year phone" plan, it will probably be successful.

6. I love how everyone is already assuming that MS is out to gouge everyone with the new version of Windows, I think it would be smart to package OS, Office and onedrive into a single opt in option as it covers so many end user requirements.....

I currently pay $8 a month but for that I have Office 365 (and yes it does work offline) on 3 devices (tablet, desktop and phone) it then automatically syncs with Onedrive (there is my cloud backup / file management sorted with 1Tb of storage, 2 factor auth) so that I can access it from anywhere........ to be honest at $96 a year it is cheaper than having to manage an external hard drive for backups and I am getting so many more features.

Really it is a good and exciting time to be a customer of MS...... really everyone don't be so sad.

7. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 844   +335

You really shouldn't talk like you are sure that Windows will be subscription based cause that's just an asumption. I read that Terry Myerson said that Windows won't be subscription based. Windows as a service means that it will get incremental updates instead of service packs.