Nero Burning Issue: 4.7GB DVD's now read 4.4GB instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please help??!!!
I'm having an issue when burning to blank DVD'S.
I use nero vision to encode avi files to dvd as well as DVD shrink. Since November 07, blank 4.7GB DVD's now read at 4.4GB. This creates a problem, when i select fit to disc, the encoded data is encoded to 4.7GB (DVD size).
I then get the error message: there is not enogh space cannot burn this compilation to this disc.
This is happening on both of my PC's.
I have tried everything I know.
I have formatted the machines. Used different versions of Nero, tried finding drivers for my Lite-On RW DVD drives, had no luck, currently using windows driver. Used the firmware updates on TechSpot. Changed DVD media brands, speeds. Brought new Lightscribe DVD RW Drive.
The 3 DVD drives I have are:
(Lite-On LDW-451S)(Lite-On SOHW-812S)(ASUS DRW-1814BL)
As a last resort I changed my settings in both nero and DVD shrink to encode at 4.4GB. This created many DVD coasters and errored. I checked the error and it aparently means "incompatable media". Luckily I have around $100 worth of different DVD media lying around, so I eleiminated that. Now I have a lifetime supply of coasters :)

It's just a difference of marketing math vs computer math.
A DVD-\+R can hold about 4.37 gibibytes (GiB), which translates into roughly 4.7 gigabytes (GB). So your DVDs are perfectly fine. Also, refer to this quality guide for DVD\CD media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back