Nero messed up all my file associations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainmk

That's right, this annoying piece of crap bloated software messed up my file associations and I don't know how to restore them! I have already uninstalled Nero.

One example is with video and image files. ICO files are now named something like nerophotosnap.type1.ico instead of just .ico and also unlike before I am unable to see the atual icon when I set my view mode to "Icon", it just shows the default file icon. How do I reset it so that it shows the actual icon image of the icon file?

Would appreciate some help with all of this.

Ya I hate nero for that. I always do a custom install with nero then be sure to uncheck the three page of associations when you are prompted. You don't need anything associated with Nero. Plus I found a reg edit to remove the nero scout from the my computer that gets installed. How annoying can that program be. Just do burning and don't try to take over the whole computer. Sorry I don't know how return all your associations. I would of thought uninstalling would do it or the restore like tw0rld suggested. Maybe reinstall it then uninstall again. Prob not but worth a shot if nothing else works.

Thank you for your replies. I might try a system restore but I am afraid that it may mess up my recent installations of other programs too :(

Never in a Million Years.......

Never, never, never, ever ,under any circumstances, permit Nero to be the default application for any file type whatsoever. Do I have to repeat that? In some cases Nero changes file extensions for the explicit purpose of making those files proprietary to Nero.

It's a great burning suite, but it's one of the most invasive programs ever written.

Nero also installs about 120 unnecessary registry entries every time you install it.

I love it though, I wouldn't know what to do without it.

Never, never, never, ever ,under any circumstances, permit Nero to be the default application for any file type whatsoever. Do I have to repeat that? In some cases Nero changes file extensions for the explicit purpose of making those files proprietary to Nero.

It's a great burning suite, but it's one of the most invasive programs ever written.

Nero also installs about 120 unnecessary registry entries every time you install it.

I love it though, I wouldn't know what to do without it.

I learnt this the hard way. Now during installation I deselect all options except autorun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back