Nest is working on several new connected home products, including a cheaper sub-$200 thermostat

Jos

Staff

Once considered the IoT darling, Nest has been notably quiet for a while, but the company is reportedly working on a series of new products in its quest to grab a bigger share of the connected home market. According to Bloomberg, that includes a home security system, a smart doorbell, an updated version of the indoor Nest Cam, and a cheaper version of its learning thermostat.

The latter is perhaps the company’s most widely known product — designed by former Apple engineers, the Nest thermostat essentially created a new market for a device that was treated as an afterthought. The current version sells for $249, but a cheaper, sub-$200 version is said to be in the works, using less expensive components and at least one internal prototype lacks the flagship model's metal edges.

The new, cheaper thermostat may launch by next year, and Nest is also developing sensors that will act as expansions, allowing users to control the temperature of specific rooms instead of just the entire home.

Nest is also said to be working on a security system consisting of a central keypad hub, alarm sensors for doors and windows, and a key fob to easily activate and deactivate the alarm. Like all of its products, there’s a companion app for users to control the entire security system.

In addition, a second-generation version of its indoor security camera could arrive as soon as this fall, with the ability to identify specific people in the frame.

Lastly, another product that the company is currently “exploring”, is a digital doorbell system, which would feature a camera to allow owners to communicate with visitors through a connected app. This isn’t expected to launch until sometime in 2018 if the company goes ahead with its development.

Permalink to story.

They're getting closer to making it 100% affordable for every household ..... shouldn't the CIA be underwriting this so they can give the "bad dudes" a "slight correction" ..... ???

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thermostat, Mine is remote and programmable to adjust temps at any time you desire on any day and it was £80... What exactly does one get for an extra £120 ?

They're getting closer to making it 100% affordable for every household ..... shouldn't the CIA be underwriting this so they can give the "bad dudes" a "slight correction" ..... ???

Some of the tinfoil hats out there think they already do via certain venture capitalists and Angel investors.

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thermostat, Mine is remote and programmable to adjust temps at any time you desire on any day and it was £80... What exactly does one get for an extra £120 ?

Its connected and can be switched on or off from anywhere providing you have Internet connectivity. It's is also very user friendly and doesn't take 20 minutes with the instructions to setup. Convenience is what you pay for.

It's about time they expanded the system, they have a solid offering at the moment but need to increase their product line!

Its connected and can be switched on or off from anywhere providing you have Internet connectivity. It's is also very user friendly and doesn't take 20 minutes with the instructions to setup. Convenience is what you pay for.

It's about time they expanded the system, they have a solid offering at the moment but need to increase their product line!

Well, I have owned my house for nearly 20 years and never once have I thought it would be nice to have such a feature, It took me 5 minutes to set mine up about 3 years ago when I bought this new system and I haven't had to touch it since, How is installing apps on a phone and needing an internet connection convenient ? I would say setting it once and forgetting it is there is rather more convenient.

I suppose the manufacturers are happy though as the more stuff is connected the more adverts they can put your way. How long before it starts selling you products to help reduce your heating bill ? ;)

Well, I have owned my house for nearly 20 years and never once have I thought it would be nice to have such a feature, It took me 5 minutes to set mine up about 3 years ago when I bought this new system and I haven't had to touch it since, How is installing apps on a phone and needing an internet connection convenient ? I would say setting it once and forgetting it is there is rather more convenient.

I suppose the manufacturers are happy though as the more stuff is connected the more adverts they can put your way. How long before it starts selling you products to help reduce your heating bill ? ;)

Honestly I have never seen an advert (yet anyway)

THey have many other perks such as self learning, knowing when you're in the house and only having the heating on then. I'm a convert, it's changed our heating habits and hopefully saved us money.

Honestly I have never seen an advert (yet anyway)

THey have many other perks such as self learning, knowing when you're in the house and only having the heating on then. I'm a convert, it's changed our heating habits and hopefully saved us money.

Ah, I work from home, so there is nearly always somebody here... So the very simple one I have does all I need.

On the saving money side, Don't you have bills from before to comapare ? or haven't you had it long enough to get some good data yet ?

I found my bills went down when I just left it on and set to 19c in the day and 15c at night, Instead of letting the house cool too much and having to warm it up again.

Brand new house which we renovated when we moved in. Also it's a different fuel type so I'm no help on that I'm afraid and can't make a comparison.

Back