Net neutrality backlash in India forces Facebook to open Internet.org to all developers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook is now allowing any developer to join its Internet.org initiative so long as they comply with three basic principles. This is in stark contrast to the social network’s initial decision to only let select services join, a move that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg described as a pragmatic one.

Chris Daniels, Facebook’s vice president of product for Internet.org, recently outlined the three principles that newcomers must adhere to.

First, a service developed for Internet.org should encourage people to explore the broader Internet. This means that sites may contain links to other sites which encourages users to see what else the web has to offer.

The second principle targets efficiency and mandates that developers must create a simpler version of their service as a free basic service. Daniels described this principle as necessary for both operators and the entire business model. As such, high-resolution images and videos aren’t going to make the cut.

Last but not least, developers will need to adhere to a set of technical guidelines required in order to zero-rate the traffic. For example, Javascript and https protocol can’t be included.

Daniels admitted that the move to open up Internet.org to developers had always been part of their long-term strategy but the recent net neutrality debate in India certainly accelerated their plans. When asked whether they were concerned about the future of Internet.org in India, Daniels pointed out that they are operating in nine countries right now and people haven’t pulled out anywhere else. He added that he was very optimistic about the initiative both globally and in India looking forward.

Last month, Internet.org fielded criticism from a handful of Indian companies regarding net neutrality concerns. As a result, a handful of early participants including travel website Cleartrip and The Times of India revoked their participation.

Permalink to story.

Now if only I knew what internet.org was I'd understand what this story is all about.

https://internet.org/about

Sounds like a whole bunch of hippy, global feel-goodness. I think there are other things the world has to worry about before we talking about connecting the rest of the world to the internet.

You have any idea what that project means to Facebook's bottom line? There ain't no other problems in the world.

"Sounds like a whole bunch of hippy, global feel-goodness. I think there are other things the world has to worry about before we talking about connecting the rest of the world to the internet"

Says someone reading this on the Internet.

You have any idea what that project means to Facebook's bottom line? There ain't no other problems in the world.
Yeah, this. Google and Facebook want to connect everyone because there are people out there who aren't using Google and Facebook because they don't have an internet connection. They'll tell us it's for the people's good (and it is), but FB isn't doing it because they're nice, they're doing it to get people to use FB. If they were serious about a humanitarian effort they'd do something that affected more people in a bigger way. It'd be far cheaper to start a scholarship fund to get adults looking for a job some technical training.

Much like how Bill Gates spends his money on sanitary toilets in 3rd world countries. Big health benefit, but toilets don't run Windows, so he can't be accused of just trying to make money.

Now if only I knew what internet.org was I'd understand what this story is all about.

https://internet.org/about

Sounds like a whole bunch of hippy, global feel-goodness. I think there are other things the world has to worry about before we talking about connecting the rest of the world to the internet.

So we can see cat videos from Bangladesh? Hasn't the world suffered enough? Hasn't it? HASN'T IT???

Back