NetBIOS Issue, and sudden lost connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

We have been having some problems with NetBIOS.

Today, I was working on our website and all of the sudden I sort of "lost connection" with the other PC on the network where the website files were stored and the path wasn't usable any longer. I could type the path for that PC \\NS1 and it would come up invalid. This wasnt an issue 1 second prior to it just happenening suddenly for no reason. I can still ping that computer, and do everything BUT access it by its NETBios name (NS1)

It seems there is some kind of issue going on with NetBIOS. We haven't been able to figure it out. After playing around trying to see what the problem is we can get it working again for a day then it will just "die" suddenly.

Were using a LinkSys Wireless Router, but were both connected to the router by CAT5 cable.

Keep in mind I can still access the other computer by any means BUT its NetBIOS name as in I can't type in \\NS1 to browse that PC or with Network Neighborhood.

I am having the exact same problem. Been trying to figure it out forever, but have always come up short. I will not give up though, as it is VERY annoying.

Very annoying indeed. You can't really work on a website with problems like this when the files are stored on another PC on the network.

Update: I disconnected the CAT5 cable from the Router and was able to re-enter the administrator password to connect to the other PC. Hopefully that will work next time this happens.

What does the trick for me almost every time is using the ip number and then after that it works again.

if \\netbiosname doesn't work anymore i use the ip like \\192.168.25.15 does the trick most of the time.

Maybe if you haven't tried it already it will help.

Greets Crazy

I'll see what that does next time it happens. It hasn't happened in the last few days so I *think* it is fixed. We also updated the firmware on the router today.

I figured out my problem.

It was due to my firewall settings, for some reason it lost my "Trusted Users" settings and I had to re-add them and it works ok now.

So my suggestion is to check your firewall settings and make sure they are still in there to allow the computers to connect to each other.

Well, we don't have a firewall at the moment. Right now it's just the LinkSys Router and three computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back