Netbook shipments up 103% in 2009, revenues elsewhere fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

With the line between netbooks and entry-level laptops getting increasingly blurry in 2009, we've wondered how much longer these underpowered machines will remain relevant in the market. But as a year of challenging economic conditions draws to a close, it's clear that the relatively low price tags have made netbooks a hot item among consumers.

According to new data from DisplaySearch, shipments soared to a staggering 33.3 million units this year, more than double the 16.4 million netbooks that shipped in 2008. In terms of revenue the segment raked in some $11.40 billion, which equates to a 72% increase compared to the $6.65 billion amassed last year.

Despite increased shipments in every other segment, netbook's lower prices actually dragged down revenue for the entire notebook industry by 12% to about $109.4 million. By category, year-to-year revenue from ultra-portables having 11.6" and 12 " displays fell 23% to $6.9 billion; standard notebooks featuring screens from 13" to 16.4" in size dropped 13% to $80.3 billion; and desktop replacements declined 12% to $10.8 billion.

DisplaySearch also suggests netbook shipments in 2010 may only grow by around 19% due to the emergence of more capable ultra-thin notebook systems sporting prices below the $500 mark.

Permalink to story.

I had picked two of them both ACER Asprire One and the Asus Eee PC both are extremely light weight even though they did come with Windows XP Home making the low price easy to pick them both up now! I was able to use just a USB Sandisk Micromate with 4GB SDHC to install Windows 7 Ultimate on both of them quick! No need to buy external DVD/CD Read/Writer, you don't need to use that older technology. MicroSDHC or SDHC you can hold more data on 16GB as these prices are come down also. I've also increase the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Asus Eee PC uses PC26400 while the Acer Aspire One uses 667Mhz DDR2. I would buy a 3rd one if I could get it dirt cheap and new!

I'm actually considering buying a netbook despite some of the hardware limitations just so I can actually try out new OSes on a different pc in a feasible and affordable way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back