Netflix adds a standard definiton only streaming option for new subscribers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix is looking to add to its user base with a discounted offering for new subscribers. The new price point allows users to watch on one screen in standard definition only for just $6.99 per month. That’s a buck cheaper than the next highest plan that allows members to watch on two screens at the same time in high definition or standard definition.

A third option, a family plan, allows subscribers to view up to four simultaneous streams in either standard or high definition for $11.99 each month.

netflix knocks dollar streaming service users netflix

A standard definition only option may seem like a pointless choice for most viewing at home, but that’s probably not what Netflix has in mind. One would surmise that a standard definition, single view option would be best suited for people watching clips on their smartphones. True, most modern handsets now have high definition screens but considering the small real estate, it’d be harder to tell a quality difference.

What’s more, it requires far less bandwidth to stream a standard definition clip to a smartphone which will go a long way in helping to conserve data plans for those without unlimited data.

A Netflix customer representative reportedly told a customer that they were testing the new plans out among a select group. Looking forward, however, the rep said they would definitely offer standard definition streaming on a wider basis at some point in the future.

Permalink to story.

It's really $8.49 since they now collect tax. I am the $7.99. I am not paying anymore than that. You have to figure in 1 year = $101 depending on your tax code for your state. Still not bad it could be worst.

Amazon Prime Instant Videos was awful no video queues. Deal $79.99 to get 2-day Shipping but they kept on messing up my orders. Or dropping items off my order with contacting me. Slick way Amazon does business. So I've dropped the Prime this month.

Netflix is a better deal I use HD 1080p instead of low SD.

You're right about Amazon Prime Instant Videos. Their content is severely lacking.
I signed up for Hulu Plus, but their TV episodes keep increasing their commercials during the programs that's a real PITA. Their movies are still commercial free, but there isn't much worthwhile content.

That's a dirty trick...That price should be more like $3.99. Only a dollar less? What a rip off.

Netflix needs to have a HD only option that you can enable. I'm tired of my video stream dropping to crap quality because my connection sucks. Buffer longer so I can view HD throughout the entire thing.

It's only a matter of time before these great services start costing more and becoming bloated with crap and advertisements. Once the cable and satellite TV market is gone, they will have it to themselves and can do whatever they want. I will not hesitate to cancel Netflix or any other service once they start being evil.

I like the idea for those who are single or only watch a couple times a month. But the main attraction, as stated, is the much less bandwidth you would be chewing through on a phone or jetpack.

I just don't get netflix. If I changed my internet to comcast to handle the streaming, it would be $35 more a month. It costs $10, so that's $45 per month. How many blu ray dvds can I rent at redbox at $1.50 each? Do I watch at least 22 movies a month? No. Even tho comcast advertizes 10k downloads for that price, I heard in my neighborhood it's getting slower and slower due to load. Forget it. We have ota tv wth that blu ray player/burner htpc.

I just don't get netflix. If I changed my internet to comcast to handle the streaming, it would be $35 more a month. It costs $10, so that's $45 per month. How many blu ray dvds can I rent at redbox at $1.50 each? Do I watch at least 22 movies a month? No. Even tho comcast advertizes 10k downloads for that price, I heard in my neighborhood it's getting slower and slower due to load. Forget it. We have ota tv wth that blu ray player/burner htpc.
This is what I keep screaming about, but I swear nobody listens. The media moguls are trying to herd everybody to streaming. Then they have you by the b***s once they get you there. Everybody thinks they're engineering all the convenience of media through the net for the customer, but that's the furthest thing from the truth. They have you right where they want you. So step right up, and get your DRM in suppository form. Nothing would make Hollywood happier, than to get rid of optical media. That would put a stop to even lending a DVD to a friend. And you're more or less tethered to the machine where you downloaded the media , even it it was only a dollar cheaper, it's more than double the nightmare.

Hell, Hi-Def is broadcast TV standard now, either 720p, o0r 1080i.

I only buy Blu-Ray when it makes no sense not to. For the rest of it, DVD with up scaling looks pretty darn good, at least up to the 46" TV I have.

Do you really want to watch "Avatar", or other big budget feature film on a phone or a stinking 7" tablet? Because, that's a big "favor" they're doing you, allowing you to,"synch". Then they sell your stupid a** an 8" model six months later, because that now looks big to you.

Last edited:
That's a dirty trick...That price should be more like $3.99. Only a dollar less? What a rip off.

Netflix needs to have a HD only option that you can enable. I'm tired of my video stream dropping to crap quality because my connection sucks. Buffer longer so I can view HD throughout the entire thing.

It's only a matter of time before these great services start costing more and becoming bloated with crap and advertisements. Once the cable and satellite TV market is gone, they will have it to themselves and can do whatever they want. I will not hesitate to cancel Netflix or any other service once they start being evil.

There is a setting on your netflix account on their web to change the quality of the picture. By default is low res. I set mine to higher HD quality.

For sure I am OTA 720p/1080i HD 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus works great with Windows 7 Media Center DVR recording. Just need IR USB for use with your Logitech Harmony Remote. Ta da you can enjoy your laptop in my case as new media addition. I only have two Blue-ray players and two upscale
DVD players in all-in-one systems. I hardly use the Blue-ray players. I did find some cheap prices
on Blue-Ray Disc. I am not paying no more than $14 for news one. My SONY BP, Network Media
Players and HDTV from them all support 1080p/24p

Comcast in 2012 I had ditched high cost CATV and their digital phone and just kept the internet.
Like show in the two CABLETEK enclosures below. The one on the left is what I had installed.
The other one is from Comcast. Yes I been inside there box and remove all the junk so now my
internet is blazing speeds instead of slow speed.
920867_10151464891127949_458380022_o.jpg

1468739_10151938669592949_626566107_n.jpg

This is how I've wired up mine inside enclosure OTA HD box. Coax leads
with the red rings are what I made up for new lines and connections from dual
HDTV ANTS and the black rings are from what COMCAST had installed on their box.

I get free HD 71 channels now. When I had first started this in 2012 it was only
60 channels.

I recently started subscribing to Netflix in the UK, and was supriced how well it streamed. On my 2.5 meg connection if flawlessly streams at 720p, although it takes a few mins for it to bump up when I first start watching, I am very impressed. 550 ish programs/ movies on the UK service, so I just set up Un block us to access the US version, and I impressed by the extended library.

When I get back to my uni digs, where I have 100 megs (which is being upgraded to 150 for free soon) I will be able stream the content 1080p

I recently started subscribing to Netflix in the UK, and was supriced how well it streamed. On my 2.5 meg connection if flawlessly streams at 720p, although it takes a few mins for it to bump up when I first start watching, I am very impressed. 550 ish programs/ movies on the UK service, so I just set up Un block us to access the US version, and I impressed by the extended library.

When I get back to my uni digs, where I have 100 megs (which is being upgraded to 150 for free soon) I will be able stream the content 1080p

Wow UK is catching up now. Netflix you say.. Here we can stream it at 1080p. You really don't need more MBPS to do so. 25GB down will be more than enough. I use to have 132GB down but the cost per month is just outrageous here. Right now I at 78GB I am about to lower than 48 to 53GB.

Wow UK is catching up now. Netflix you say.. Here we can stream it at 1080p. You really don't need more MBPS to do so. 25GB down will be more than enough. I use to have 132GB down but the cost per month is just outrageous here. Right now I at 78GB I am about to lower than 48 to 53GB.
You don't need anywhere near 25 down to get 1080 (assuming netflix's "superhd" is 1080). I have 8 down and it plays superhd fine for me.

You don't need anywhere near 25 down to get 1080 (assuming netflix's "superhd" is 1080). I have 8 down and it plays superhd fine for me.

I did ran a test last year for Vudu HDX Service requires 9mb down. Sure 50mb over hill. But I still run online business I will lower it to 25mb for what I need. Paying 50mb prices is still a lot after taxes and extra service tax make it feel like.

I checked Netflix's site. Requirement for 'superhd' is 7 down and it is indeed 1080p. Although just because it is 1080p doesn't mean it looks as good as even OTA broadcast 1080i.. Still though, it looks pretty good on my old 46" tv.

Yeah, I can get up to 50 down here, but it is crazy expensive. 8 is serving me well for now.

I checked Netflix's site. Requirement for 'superhd' is 7 down and it is indeed 1080p. Although just because it is 1080p doesn't mean it looks as good as even OTA broadcast 1080i.. Still though, it looks pretty good on my old 46" tv.

Yeah, I can get up to 50 down here, but it is crazy expensive. 8 is serving me well for now.

I can show you what my 1080p from Netflix really looks sharp as whistle. There are setting under your main account to change it. 50 down is like $69 plus taxes tack on $5 more. When I had 105 down it was over $100 bucks. Then they had 210 down and that is $199 per month. No way was I going to get that and the 105 down got me 132 down. Still costly. 25 down would be like $59 anything lower than that would be $49 then $39 would be what your getting.

Back