TechSpot

Netflix begins 4K Ultra HD streaming with second season of 'House of Cards'

By Shawn Knight
Apr 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix is officially in the 4K Ultra HD streaming game as the company quietly rolled out a limited selection of titles over the weekend. It's the first full-length 4K content to hit the streaming service although the 4K era is...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,173   +243

Ohh sexy love the house of cards show! but I dont own a 4k monitor :'(

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 321   +83

Expensive, new tech always is
    too soon - sooner the better, then more content will be available and costs will come down for hardware
    pushes the limits of the human eye - don't see how this is a problem. It will look better than 1080p for everyone that can see no matter how degraded one's vision. Bring it on! It is like good quality audio/sound, can my ear hear 100% of the improvement, no, I'm older and my hearing range is decreased, but it still sounds better than poor audio

4. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Enthusiast Posts: 151   +46

..and so we have 2 great announcements made today: a great video card and 4k content on netflix! I think it's time to pull the gun on a 4k monitor.

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,273   +542

Problem is I doubt this will work reasonably well due to the download constraints of 4k. In all honesty I know plenty of people who struggle to run a 1080p show so a 4k would have alot of problems I feel.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

Very true... bringing 4K to your home is not only dependent on the TV, you'll also probably need to upgrade your broadband to the fastest offered. For me that'd be like an extra $50/month.

Raoul Duke likes this.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

Netflix has to rebuffer a few times while at 1080P currently while watching movies and I have 50 mbps download speed. So yeah, I agree. They have to work on their infrastructure before pushing 4K. Hopefully the 4K push will help force an infrastructure improvement.

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 321   +83

Never thought of the streaming problem. Was just excited about 4k. Yes, it will mean ISP's will make a ton of money as people pay more for faster service. I'm doing o.k. with Netflix and 1080p with 50mbps service, but it isn't inexpensive

9. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,947   +577

As a user of both Netflix and high-resolution screens I can tell you that Netflix efforts to flog 4K video is utterly pathetic. They totally fake the Ultra-High Definition. They tell you that it is UHD whereas in reality the video quality is just about the same as 1080P. They compress 4K with such low bit rate that even x265 coder doesn't help much, it kills the quality.

Have you ever seen a 1080P movie compressed to 2GB? It is quite terrible, just the same as a 4K movie compressed to 4GB, a total nonsense. They sacrifice the quality completely for the sake of minimizing the download traffic, to the point where it is no longer 4K, but the same 1080P, maybe be 10% better.

We are not closer to having 4K content than we were last year, it seems. And YouTube remains to be the only source of true 4K videos.

10. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 883   +233

It's not about letting people drive the Corvette sitting in the showroom, its about how many people it attracts to your place of business. Offering a 4K service this soon (whether its legit or not) sure looks good on the resume now and for foreseeable future.

11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

I wonder how much this would impact people's bandwidth who watch multiple show on netflix when 4k spreads to other shows

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.