Netflix orders 10-episode Lost in Space reboot

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As programs like Fuller House have demonstrated, Netflix is more than willing to take risks on sequels and reboots of high-profile shows. Its latest project, a reboot of the 1965 science fiction series Lost in Space, is no exception.

As outlined in Netflix’s press release, the reboot will take its cues from the original. It will follows the Robinson family, stranded light years from their intended destination, as they battle an alien environment and their own personal demons. It’s equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, Netflix said.

The streaming video titan has ordered a 10-episode first season of the sci-fi classic from Legendary TV that’ll debut in 2018. It’s being written by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter) with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) serving as executive producer.

Synthesis Entertainment’s Kevin Burns (The Curse of Oak Island, Ancient Aliens) and Jon Jashni (Godzilla, Pacific Rim); and Applebox director Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, The Descent) and Marc Helwig are also onboard as writers.

Cindy Holland, Netflix Vice President of Original Content, said the original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy which made it very appealing to a broad audience. The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix, she added, is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world.

Permalink to story.

I hope they don't ruin it. I really hope they don't ruin it.... How can they not ruin it? .... Crap!!! There going to ruin it! With political correctness, and the " social norm " and such, they are going to ruin it!

Laser guns will be replaced with hugs

It will be gender neutral ( to the extreme. I agree with gender neutral to a point. Gender should not effect pay, gender should not effect education, occupation, social standing, but I am going to feel so out of place when I see a lady using a urinal ).

I'm sure, a lot of other stuff is going to destroy it, but I just cant think of it now. I just hope I'm wrong.

Cue from the showrunners: prison break from alien witches only to fall into the trap of bloodsucking aliens... ;)

if it were up to me, I'd center the new tv reboot based on the lost in space movie.

I wonder how family friendly it will be given that Netflix isn't restricted like mainstream network television.

I hope they don't ruin it. I really hope they don't ruin it.... How can they not ruin it? .... Crap!!! There going to ruin it! With political correctness, and the " social norm " and such, they are going to ruin it!

Laser guns will be replaced with hugs

It will be gender neutral ( to the extreme. I agree with gender neutral to a point. Gender should not effect pay, gender should not effect education, occupation, social standing, but I am going to feel so out of place when I see a lady using a urinal ).

I'm sure, a lot of other stuff is going to destroy it, but I just cant think of it now. I just hope I'm wrong.
Perfectly stated and funny too!

Please Netflix, don't make it anything like the weak 1998 movie, although it did have good FX. Keep the story lines interesting without being corny.

Ugh I really wanted a part two of the 1998 Lost in Space. It was great. I got excited when I saw this but now that I know they're basing it off the 1965 one, I'm disappointed. I hope they don't screw this up.

Back