TechSpot

Netflix prepares a major overhaul for its video streaming architecture and technologies

By Justin Kahn
Jan 28, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Over the past 7 years or so, Netflix has expanded from a few thousand occasional users, to a massive video-streaming giant serving up billions of hours of content a month. Now the company is taking a long look at its...

Read more

2. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 200   +44

They need to fix their apps UI's in every device, if it's not their fault for the janky UI's they need to tell those OEMs to fix them. Is there any one of Netflix apps any good on any device? All the one I've used are garbage.

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

I've been watching the crap out of Netflix lately. I think their content suggestions are crap and they are a bit naggy about social media integration. But overall the one thing I dislike the most is the bandwidth usage. If they could find a more efficient way to encode their video, that would be nice. Overall I'm completely satisfied though.

4. I've always like the PS3 version the best. Mostly because of the way you control fast forward. In a lot of the UI's it's like the old school seeking, whereas in the PS3 version you scroll through boxes associated with the timeline. This makes it so much easier to get past those annoying show intros with perfect timing.
    The PS3 version also has one of the more thought out ways of browsing and starting videos.

I find it quite ridiculous that Netflix has allowed so many different concurrent UI's. Some of them are downright terrible to use.

5. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,173   +577

The best picture quality to compression ratio video encoding format, H.264, is copy written and they charge for it's use. That's also the reason why you mostly ever only see it being used for personal projects or pirated videos.

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Leave well enough alone.

7. I may just go back to reading books...

8. war59312

war59312 TS Booster Posts: 117

H265 with double the bitrate would be nice! :)

So same file size, but "double" the quality.