Netflix raises the price of their standard plan by a whopping $1.00

Scorpus

Staff member

Netflix has announced a price increase for their most popular plan, effective immediately, that brings the monthly cost up to $9.99 from $8.99. The price increase is only applicable to new customers for the time being, although existing customers will be bumped up to the new price after October 2016.

The prices of Netflix's other plans remain the same, meaning you can still get a non-HD streaming option for $7.99 per month, or a family share option with Ultra HD streams for $11.99 per month. The $1.00 price increase makes the standard plan sit more comfortable between the two other options.

Some users vented their frustration at Netflix's whopping $1 price increase for the standard plan on Twitter, expressing annoyance that streaming from the company's huge catalog of movies and TV shows would cost them $12 more per year. Netflix justified the price increase by saying it would allow the company to bring "more great content to users".

Netflix shares increased by more than 6 percent after news of the $1 price increase hit the web. Investors were clearly happy that Netflix is willing to increase the price of their plan as the cost of maintaining their catalog increases, even if slightly unhappy users are have to fork out more cash.

Permalink to story.

Is 1$ an 11.12% increase on baseline 8.99$ Netflix fee?
if my math was right, that is indeed a 'whooping increase'. otherwise, in my self-centered economics, the 12$ for the whole year increase is fine if the products and/or services are really good.

I hope Netflix comes to the Philippines.

if my math was right, that is indeed a 'whooping increase'. otherwise, in my self-centered economics, the 12$ for the whole year increase is fine if the products and/or services are really good.

I'm hoping its not $1=£1 when in fact it isn't, its like GoG is the ONLY company in the WORLD to get facts about the exchange rate for $/£!

Haven't used netflix for over a year, seems like won't be using in the future either. I watch 3-5 hours tv a month and no option for paying less to watch less. Seems strange I have to pay same as the guy who watches 8 hours a day. When paying had to always leave it on just to use their servers for all my moneys worth. It's also much cheaper to buy the 2-3 series and 1 movie on bluray than pay for a year of netflix and I get to keep em.

I'm hoping its not $1=£1 when in fact it isn't, its like GoG is the ONLY company in the WORLD to get facts about the exchange rate for $/£!
Steam is pretty good at it, but Games are priced differently according to regions and have sales at different times. On Steam a game can cost £3.74 on sale, which is normally ~$5.

It'll come one of these days just as it'll come to South Africa eventually but at the moment it's still illegal. Our satellite TV provider (Multichoice) hasn't finished squeezing us dry yet and the government has a big stake in them.

Steam is pretty good at it, but Games are priced differently according to regions and have sales at different times. On Steam a game can cost £3.74 on sale, which is normally ~$5.
I've noticed Steam tends to charge everybody just about the same. Once I do the conversion the price they charge in USD, it works out to be about the same in our ZAR currency.

My plan is locked to $7.99 until 2016. Then I'll cancel them. I really don't use it like I did. Plus when I had signed up back 2011 it was a lot better than it is now! They're increasing prices for profit they should have kept it at $7.99 then they added tax made that go up by .50 cents for me each month. If you like the service keep on paying for I am sure it will be over $10 soon might be there now for some.

$9.99? I know I'm always complaining about prices but I'd happily pay that for a monthly sub to Netflix... just as long as they throw in the sport.
Damn! My satellite TV provider doesn't even wait for me to take down my pants before they start screwing me.
Sadly Netflix is still illegal here.

This is BS. Raises rate but having the same old crap.

Time to short sell their stock

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be a $2 bump for me (still have the old $7.99 price from before the first bump) but still worth it, family uses Netflix a lot so $10 a month is not a huge price for it.

Making sure piracy is there to thrive, aren't we?

Oh yes, they're particularly good at that.

Ahoy, mateys. $9.99/mo getting screwed on out of date movies and current TV shows that one could acquire in thirty seconds for free.

Hell, I'd consider even paying for music if the 'premium' songs weren't $1.25 a pop. I'll hoist the sails for that greediness.

I love how this article makes it sound like a sudden 11% price increase is no big deal and we should all rejoice about it. Imagine if your phone bill or hydro bill suddenly increased by 11% for no reason? But hey, this is just TV, so who cares...right? It's just another $1/month extra. I'm guessing Netflix is testing the waters to see what the reaction will be to the price increase. That's why they "only" raised prices by a dollar. If the reaction is largely negative then they probably won't raise prices again for a while. But if most people react as this article would have you react "Doy! OK, take my money, I'm stupid." then it probably won't be long before they raise it again. A dollar more this year, another dollar more next year, and so on... and next thing you know we got another Comcast/AT&T/etc.

Sadly most companies treat $1 = £1 and netflix is no exception. £1/$1 may not be much but when it equates to a 50% rise in netflix prices in as little as 1-2 years then it is a big rise. Netflix used to £5.99 a month, then they changed it to 7.99, then 8.99 and I am sure it will change to 9.99. I will still pay that though as compared to the others its quite cheap and great for the US catalog. I also have prime which is very limited and no access to the vast US stuff vs the UK.

In May 2014 I received the following "We are increasing our price from £5.99 to £6.99 for new members. As a thank you for being a member of Netflix already, we guarantee that your plan and price will not change for two years." ... I have been paying 8.99 atleast since Novemeber 2014 (can only check 12 months on netflix website) this is because shortly after the price change they made it so the 5.99/6.99 package could only view in SD on 1 device it was a right con!

Last edited:
Back