Netflix renews House of Cards for fifth season, creator Beau Willimon moves on

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix has renewed political drama House of Cards for a fifth season which will air in 2017. That's no surprise considering the show's popularity and the number of accolades it's won over the years but there's a big change taking place behind the scenes.

House of Cards creator, executive producer and showrunner Beau Willimon will not be returning for season five.

Netflix said in a statement that it owes a tremendous debt of gratitude to Willimon for his strong narrative vision over the show's first four seasons.

Likewise, Willimon said he is grateful to Netflix and MRC (Media Rights Capital, the show's producer) as well as his fellow executive producers, the show's stars, its writers and the cast and crew with whom he's had the privilege to work with. After five years and four seasons, however, Willimon said it was time to move on to new endeavors.

House of Cards couldn't have arrived at a better time. The show debuted on February 1, 2013, as the company was reeling from missteps that included spinning off its DVD-by-mail business and an unwelcomed price hike. Since that time, Netflix stock has gone on to hit an all-time high last month. More importantly, it proved that Netflix was a true contender as a producer of original content and paved the way for other hits such as Orange is the New Black and Bojack Horseman.

The fourth season of House of Cards premiers in its entirety on March 4, 2106.

Permalink to story.

I am eagerly awaiting house of cards season 4.

Netflix had finally come to the Philippines. PLDT, rival of my ISP globe telecom, already offers affordable Netflix bundles, albeit at 50gb monthly allocation. I hope globe telecom likewise offer Netflix bundle at an affordable cost and larger bandwidth allowance, say 300gb/month... I am tempted to jump ship to pldt. unfortunately for me and fortunately for globe, globe is the only viable ISP in my home town. (smart telecom is a PLDT company also offers internet service)

I am eagerly awaiting house of cards season 4.

Netflix had finally come to the Philippines. PLDT, rival of my ISP globe telecom, already offers affordable Netflix bundles, albeit at 50gb monthly allocation. I hope globe telecom likewise offer Netflix bundle at an affordable cost and larger bandwidth allowance, say 300gb/month... I am tempted to jump ship to pldt. unfortunately for me and fortunately for globe, globe is the only viable ISP in my home town. (smart telecom is a PLDT company also offers internet service)

You might be waiting a while. According to the article, "the fourth season of House of Cards premiers in its entirety on March 4, 2106."

Netflix arrived in Mozambique 3 weeks ago but the internet here is so expansive, lucky me my wife is a IT Engineer and works for a ISP and we have good internet 50mb/s+ for free uncapped but I feel sorry for everyone else because they will have to pay 6.300Mt=140USD for a 2MB connection.

Lol @hexed. I presumed you already hexed the article author. I had to re-read the article to see where the typographical error took place and how funny it sounds if it will really occur on that date.

Back