Netflix shows you how to build your very own 'Netflix and chill' button

midian182

Staff member

It seems as if Netflix’s PR people have decided to cash in on the popular ‘Netflix and Chill’ hooking up reference by revealing what it calls ‘The Switch’ – a DIY, internet-connected button in a box that can provide the "ultimate Netflix experience."

You can’t buy The Switch from stores; instead, Netflix has posted step-by-step instructions for building one. Once created, the battery or mains powered (depending on which components you use) device can, at the push of a button, turn on your TV, activate Netflix, dim smart lights, order food from a takeaway and silence an Android smartphone.

Netflix has included a system diagram, a zip file (.zip) and a materials (.pdf) list with all the details of how to build the switch. For its prototype, the company used the Wi-Fi enabled Particle Core microcontroller, but anyone building the switch is free to choose their own components. Other materials Netflix suggests include a lithium-ion polymer battery and charger, red and white LEDs, an IR transmitter, a transistor and a resistor kit. Netflix even added a how-to guide for building a switch box to cover the circuitry.

The design works with Philips Hue internet-connected lights and recommends that you have a smart TV with a Netflix button. Android users will also need to download an app to allow The Switch to silence smartphones. The application server part of the device is powered by a Raspberry Pi.

"You should be comfortable with a soldering iron and have a solid understanding of electronics and programming before embarking on your journey to one-switch watching," says Netflix.

Constructing the device probably wouldn’t be the easiest project for the less tech-savvy, but if you’ve got the skills and plenty of free time then you could become the proud owner of a ‘Netflix and chill’ switch.

Permalink to story.

Ha ha I like the idea, though not having netflix would make me repurpose it for other things if I were to build it. Having a button for a takeout delivery would be dangerous in my house though...

Back