Netflix to premiere "big" original movies the same day they’re in theaters

Justin Kahn

netflix netflix tv original movies ted sarandos hollywood

It appears as though Netflix is looking to widen its scope of original content beyond TV. Reports suggest the company is looking to create big budget films now as well.

Apparently the popular on-demand entertainment company is thinking about funding a "big" movie that is planned to release in theaters and on Netflix simultaneously.

Head of content at Netflix Ted Sarandos is keen on getting into the film space and has reportedly prepped investors for the move. Over this past weekend, Sarandos said in a speech that the company will attempt to apply the same model to films as it does with its TV programming. He went on to say, "why not premiere movies on Netflix, the same day they’re opening in theaters? And not little movies — there’s a lot of ways, and lot of people to do that [already]. Why not big movies? Why not follow the consumers’ desire to watch things when they want?”

As for what those movies could be is still unknown, but it sounds as though the projects will cover a wide range of genre and style. In an earnings call Sarandos said investors should “keep [their] mind wide open to what those films would be and what they would look like.”

It's not easy to see Netflix going up against Hollywood and being successful at it, but as some have suggested, it carries weight and is likely more of a posturing move on Netflix's part. While smaller films have been released in theaters and online at the same time in the past, big budget films generally follow a strict release window that starts in the theaters and ends on services like Netflix. So this could just be Netflix's way of shaking things up a bit, either way it sounds like we are in for some new original content.

Permalink to story.

If all the latest movies would be available on day one or within first week or two of release on Netlifx it would actually make me want to get Netflix. Not only that, I am sure it would contribute to reducing actual piracy as well. Hopefully they can get the big blockbuster movies on Netflix for the same day releases and not just shoddy, small time movies.

Fingers Crossed

I heard hbo is planning to do that, plus they will give you a big tv and pay your house rent.

^ I heard hbo is planning to do that, plus they will give you a big tv and pay your house rent.

If all the latest movies would be available on day one or within first week or two of release on Netlifx it would actually make me want to get Netflix. Not only that, I am sure it would contribute to reducing actual piracy as well. Hopefully they can get the big blockbuster movies on Netflix for the same day releases and not just shoddy, small time movies.

Fingers Crossed

This very unlikely to happen in the near future. Too much revenue flows through traditional venues and the studios make too much money there to cut Netflix in. Day-one or first-week blockbuster releases are lose / lose for all business entities involved, as great as the prospect may be for consumers.

Really? Does it really need to explained to some people here? If Netflix was to actually stream blockuster movies the same day they hit the theaters its not gonna be for the $7.99 subscription most people have right now. I have to assume you people are not dumb enough to think that.

There have already been talk before bout the idea of streaming blockbuster movies on day one but it would cost about $30 more or less plus also have restrictions of how many people can watch it at the same time, not that they could actually enforce such restriction except maybe if the person is streaming it to a projector in their yard for lots of people to see.

Netflix would have to do something similar; charge a fee per movie or a larger monthly fee in order for these Hollywood studios to even take them serious. To be honest, with a fast enough Internet (Google Fiber maybe?), a big enough screen with a nice surround sound (I have a 70" right now) and a good enough device to stream it (maybe Chromecast 2 in case the current version is not good enough?) then I would be willing to pay say $50 or $60 a month to watch blockbuster movies at home.

It would not take much for some on to record a new release film and upload it to a bittorrent site.

Really? Does it really need to explained to some people here? If Netflix was to actually stream blockuster movies the same day they hit the theaters its not gonna be for the $7.99 subscription most people have right now. I have to assume you people are not dumb enough to think that.

There have already been talk before bout the idea of streaming blockbuster movies on day one but it would cost about $30 more or less plus also have restrictions of how many people can watch it at the same time, not that they could actually enforce such restriction except maybe if the person is streaming it to a projector in their yard for lots of people to see.

Netflix would have to do something similar; charge a fee per movie or a larger monthly fee in order for these Hollywood studios to even take them serious. To be honest, with a fast enough Internet (Google Fiber maybe?), a big enough screen with a nice surround sound (I have a 70" right now) and a good enough device to stream it (maybe Chromecast 2 in case the current version is not good enough?) then I would be willing to pay say $50 or $60 a month to watch blockbuster movies at home.

Well of course. I wouldn't even mind paying per blockbuster ($10-$15) to watch it online.

Did yall not read the post. it is not talking about releasing blockbuster Hollywood movies, it is talking about releasing it's own big movies streaming and in the theaters the same day. There is a big difference. Netflix makes alot of money doing the streaming, but the can make more money taking movies to the theaters too ( and releasing blueray and dvd's also). I say it is a good plan for them. They would not have to raise there monthly fee, but there is nothig to say they wont.

Wow is this a mixed up bunch of comments....

Renrew - Where does it say that Netflix is going to create their own movies and compete with Hollywood? The linked Gizmodo story is called "Netflix is thinking of making original movies now too" but that is quite a stretch based on the quote from Ted that says
?What we?re trying to do for TV, the model should extend pretty nicely to movies. Meaning, why not premiere movies on Netflix, the same day they?re opening in theaters? And not little movies ? there?s a lot of ways, and lot of people to do that [already]. Why not big movies? Why not follow the consumers? desire to watch things when they want??
that sounds a lot more to me like they want to stream big movies created by other studios, not produce their own. Netflix doesn't have the budget for anything besides comedies and dramas anyway, so the line about 'Big movies' doesn't sound like a Netflix original to me.

Chuck Cortes - I really doubt anyone thinks it'll be included in $7.99 price. Netflix will have to buy these movies, and the studios will probably want a cut per view. There's no way Netflix will be able to sign up more people new than will actually watch the movie, and do that for each new movie they stream. It'll almost definitely be a pay-per-view for subscribers only thing. Or maybe a 'premium membership' that costs $30/month or more. The only thing I can say for certainty is that movie studios will NOT be taking a loss by doing business with Netflix, and that means we'll have to pick up some of that cost.

I really don't see the movie studios going for this. They are micro-managers and will very unlikely allow such avenue via Netflix because there are way too many things out of their control. Movie theaters and distributors won't be happy either (though not sure if they have any leverage against this model).

Netflix makes original content now guys! I think several of you either didn't know that or forgot. They are talking about making their own movie and releasing it online and in theaters at the same time.

Now maybe an argument could be made that big movie theaters are so in bed with big movie producers that they could be pressured into not showing a Netflix made movie.. I don't know if that is true, but I could see it happening.

Back