Netflix's offline viewing comes to Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix late last year finally added the ability to download programming for offline playback. Unfortunately, the spiffy new feature was only made available for Android and iOS devices – desktop and notebook users still needed an active Internet connection to get their binge on.

That no longer appears to be the case as Windows Central recently pointed out.

The publication on Monday noticed that offline downloads are now available through the Netflix app for Windows 10.

Netflix confirmed the news with TechCrunch, adding that the feature is rolling out on a global scale. There’s still no sign of offline download support for Windows 10 Mobile or Xbox One apps.

As is the case with Android and iOS, however, not all shows are eligible for download due to rights issues. That said, much of Netflix’s own original content is available for offline consumption including shows like Stranger Things, Narcos, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards, just to name a few. You’ll also find plenty of documentaries and stand-up comedy specials, we’re told.

To download a show or movie, simply tap or click the down arrow next to the title. You can search for downloadable content in a new section of the app, appropriately called “Available for Download,” and manage your offline collection in the “My Downloads” tab.

Permalink to story.

TechSpot should compare battery life of laptops when using VLC vs. the Netflix app when this is actually available. It'd be interesting to see what kind of a hit DRM causes.

I have not seen this on my HTPC yet. It sounds like it is available only on laptops and tablets.

I have also noted something new in the latest app - the resolution starts out crap and eventually improves - not an "enhancement" imo.

Back