TechSpot

netgear wgt624 - internet dump

By paguy99
Mar 27, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i just got a wgt624 wireless router... am running it on windows xp w/ verizon dsl. I've had it only about 2 days... and its been nothing but trouble. It continually dumps the connection. Have been on w/ NG tech support 4 times... and no luck w/ the steps they've tried.

anyone had any probs like this - or have some recs. or tips?
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I've had similar problems with both a WGT624 v2 and a WGR614 v3.

I sent the WGR614 back for repair.. The new one has the same problem.

The WGT624 has been tolerable. The internet connection takes a nose dive every few days, rather than every few hours like the 614 did.

After some research, I found something on Netgear's site which blamed this behavior on a virus opening too many ports (And said this happens to many routers), but I'm certain both of my systems are clean and I simply don't understand how a virus can open ports when there is a password to access my router.

So I'm baffled as well. I hoping for future firmware which will resolve the connection issues.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.