TechSpot

Netgear WN121T- Worth it?

By Finchy
Dec 10, 2007
  1. As some of you may know from reading my posts lately, i've just ordered a new computer.
    However on the website the range of network options wasn't brilliant, so i resolved to buy a network adaptor seperately.

The one i'm looking at at the moment is a Netgear WN121T 270Mbps USB adaptor for £30 which will be used with a new BT Home Hub Router

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-120-NG

It seems good, but i've seen mixed reviews, some people have had connection problems and somehow music seems to get distorted.
    Yet there are others with no problems whatsoever

Has it been fixed in drivers? shall I look elsewhere? how can i maximise gains? will i need anything else with it?
    Any advice would be helpful (though i need a quick reponse as ill be odering probably within the nxt few days)

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,311   +617

WHY go with USB? More flexible option is an Ethernet NIC + a common router.

XP seems to have 'fits' sometimes with USB (at least thumb drives) and drivers
    need to be reloaded far too frequently.

I would go with a network solution (ie NIC) to the router.

3. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 353

I don't have a clue what NIC is, but i imagine its something wired, which is what I most dfinitely dont want
    The computer is about 6 metres and 3 walls from the internet socketso wireless is aa must and all can find is cards and USB things. I'd prefer something that i can just plugin without voiding a warranty.

Any opinions on this paricular adapter i specified?
    Please be quick, it's not actually me who will be ordering and it has to be done tonight
    Sorry to be a bit snappy

4. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 353

Okay, in sumary I have decided to go with the Netgear WN121T, because all the other adaptors I could find also had issues
    I don't really want to have an NIC card because that would mean opening up the PC, which i don't want to do when USB is so much easier

The main problems highlighted were
    - lack of vista support
    - audio stuttering
    - variable connectivity

The top 2 have been fixed in drivers and the last seems to be an issue with most adaptors

On a slightly unrelated note I would like to know what I need to download onto disk for the new PC.

I know i'll need
    -Anti virus/ spyware/ adware
    - firewall
    - Adaptor drivers

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what else I should have?

Thanks for any suggestions
    Finchy

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.