Netgear's latest Nighthawk router comes with all the bells and whistles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netgear has added a new router to its popular Nighthawk line that’s designed to handle intensive tasks like 4K media streaming and virtual reality gaming.

The Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart Wi-Fi Router features a quad-core processor operating at 1.7GHz (the fastest chip ever in a home router, Netgear says) and Quad-Stream Wave 2 Wi-Fi architecture as well as next-gen 802.11ad Wi-Fi. You also get MU-MIMO technology that supports simultaneous streaming while 160MHz doubles Wi-Fi speeds to mobile devices.

The menacing router utilizes four patent-pending active antennas with amplifiers in the tips for improved range and throughput. All things considered, the San Jose-based company says the Nighthawk X10 offers combined wireless speeds up to 7.2Gbps.

The X10 additionally features a 10Gbps Ethernet port for a fiber connection and six Gigabit Ethernet ports including two Ethernet aggregation ports.

Also worth noting is the fact that the Nighthawk X10 supports Plex Media Server meaning you can run the software without needing a computer. Simply connect an external storage device loaded with your movies and TV shows to the router via USB 3.0. X10 buyers will also receive a three-month subscription to Plex Pass.

As you may have guessed, a feature-filled home router of this caliber doesn’t come cheap. Expect to pay $499.99 for the opportunity.

Permalink to story.

Given how horribly buggy Netgear firmware tends to be, and how readily they abandon firmware updates for their devices, I wouldn't touch this thing even if you paid me!

L M A O at the price.

And to think there are some around these parts that think the new Linksys WRT MIMO router
is priced way to high at $249

I have always had trouble with 'Supports Plex Media Server'. After trying several devices as Plex servers (Synology, Atom type HTPC's etc) I finally built up an i7 with 16G of RAM dedicated to the job. If your server never has to transcode anything then a low end CPU is fine. Once you want your Plex to stream to mobile devices, store a local copy say on an iPad at reduced quality, want more than one stream going at once, have larger files and not so common or high compression codecs, have 4K content etc you quickly learn these devices are no good for a Plex server. The other Specs look real nice, very keen to see the wireless range and speed data once it comes out.

Both of them are not worth the money.

Netgear stock firmware sucks if someone were to port Asus WRT to and it was priced at $200 then maybe worth looking at.

As I pointed out in the linksys article anything north of $250 you are better off with a

EdgeRouter Lite or MikroTik setup you will get far better performance since this is entry level enterprise grade equipment.

Both of them are not worth the money.

Netgear stock firmware sucks if someone were to port Asus WRT to and it was priced at $200 then maybe worth looking at.

As I pointed out in the linksys article anything north of $250 you are better off with a

EdgeRouter Lite or MikroTik setup you will get far better performance since this is entry level enterprise grade equipment.

The 3200ACM from Linksys is $249, will succeed in the open source WRT community and is destined to go lower in price.
Accept your failure and move on bro.

Last edited:
The 3200ACM from Linksys is $249, will succeed in the open source WRT community and is destined to go lower in price.

What failure this isn't a competition.

You mean like the linksys wrt1900ac which had broken open source firwares for months if not a full year.

And save the trolling for the other guy it doesn't not work on me.

What failure this isn't a competition.

You mean like the linksys wrt1900ac which had broken open source firwares for months if not a full year.

And save the trolling for the other guy it doesn't not work on me.

You do realize how open-source WRT works and who's responsible ... right ?
Your credibility is now less than zero.

Last edited:
Given how horribly buggy Netgear firmware tends to be, and how readily they abandon firmware updates for their devices, I wouldn't touch this thing even if you paid me!

Well, through your comment, you've exposed yourself to a complete unfamiliarity with the custom firmwares world (like DD-WRT)! As a proud owner of 2 Netgear R7000, I can only confirm, that Netgear creates a wonderful piece of hardware! Their official firmware is somewhat lacking, that's true, but there is absolutely no need to stay with it, flash DD-WRT and discover a new world of endless opportunities!
Some of my personal usages of DD-WRT: FTP server, SAMBA (there is a HDD drive connected through USB 3 port), DLNA, VPN server & client, torrent, Optware!! (which is a huge standalone topic) which provides an opportunity to run practically any GNU service! I've installed PyLoad, and running youtube-dl.

Back