Network access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 xp home pc's seeing each other. Can access pc A. Cannot access pc B.
They are both sharing DSL over a router. Installed NetBEUI on both pc's. It would be ok to deal with pc A having the ability to access pc B. But, I want to figure this out. They also can ping each other. Any help would be great! Forgot to add that I try to access pc A and get this error Access denied. There are no firewall on either machine. Was planning on using router firewall. XP firewall is turned off as well.

XP Home cannot join a domain; That means;
You must manually logon to a Share that has each User with Full permissions.
So create a Shared drive/Folder/File on each Machine and set proper permission(You can use" Everybody " rights But this leaves your Machines VERY vunerable)

Liquidlen

I already did that. I even tried switching the sharing from the two drives in the pc I want access to. I'm stummped

Sorry i meant using remote desktop connection. At what point does it deny you access then? trying to access its folders?

It denies when I try to access the other pc's C drive. I'm using C: just for whatever reason. I used NetBEIU from searching other forums. I justthought of something, does it matter if they are both xp home? Should I upgrade one to pro?

in the new network wizards when it asks you how your computer connects to the net, have you selected OTHER. then through a hub comes up. I had a similar problem just yesterday when i got a router.

danielb

I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if hub and router would qualify together. I gave in...I reinstalled xp home. Start from scratch. I transfered all needed files to other pc. I can pull them off the other pc but can't push them. See what happens. BRB in about 2 hrs. Thanks for help.

Woohoo

At last I got it. What did I do to correct the problem? Re-installed xp home. I gain access to both pc's. I tried to get into one of the 'program files' folder and was denied. I tried to share and no box would let my click (greyed out). Thanks to all that helped. Also, do I have to do anything special to my new router regarding firewall?

lol that was over kill, so youve done it then? My router firwal was just a tick box. If your running certain games application or servers you will need to open up certain ports using port forwarding.

son of a bi---

It crapped out on me again. I installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Restarted and it's done. Now I can connect to the net on the other pc but I get the "web site could not be found error". Where is a bazooka when you need one?

Theres so many little things it could be. My routers a gem only bought it three days ago not one problem, still that dont help you. lmao.

go here: http://homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp and try their guide. Basically all you need to do is set up a simple workgroup network for home use. With XP home, many of the features of networking are not available, like advanced permissions, so you might need to run the "net user guest /active:yes" command on all machines.

You might also find this document useful http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8D-6B4A-448E-A632-076F98A351A2&displaylang=en It is a 24 page .doc on troubleshooting file sharing.

All good...well almost

Ok, I can see and access both pc's. The kicker?...I get sporadic internet connectivity. The reason?...my router doesn't have my login and password for internet. I tried to log into router...using 192.168.0.1. Used both IE and Firefox. I can't get in. I followed the guide for renewing ip address. It won't let me. When I try to log in using a browser I get an error somewhere on the lines of no data available. I'm sooo close yet so freakin far!! Anyone help me out. Please use ***** terms. Also how I need to do whatever steps you may offer. GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

The error

The error I get when trying to release ip address in CMD.
"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

Not a clue what it means.

It aint been given an ip by your router. Try giving them your own if you cant get into the router yet. Right click tcp protocol, if obtain ip automatically AINT selected put it on that. If it IS put an IP in yoursself and test.

the renew error you are getting is usually associated with having a manually configured IP, if you've set static IPs in the computers then you can't release them.

I'm sure it doesn't matter what pc I use to log into router. I changed my ip address to 192.168.0.1. on the one pc and have the other one set to 192.168.0.11. Still can't get into router.

danielb... I would have to reset router as well? I'm even thinking of reinstalling the ethernet card...then using xp defaults, then try to access router. The other pc, will that have to be on "obtain ip automatically"? Also does the other pc have to be connected to router during this process? Or, can I just hook up the one pc and access it that way?

How about reinstalling both ethernet cards and start from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back