TechSpot

Network Cable is Showing unplugged

By inukman
Aug 4, 2005
  1. I have a PC running windows XP in a home office. It is connected to 4 other PC's (via a hub)all running the same OS. One morning Windows is showing that the network cable is unplugged. I checked the network cable by connecting the same cable into my laptop and that worked fine. I bought a new network card, installed it, updated the drivers, but it is still showing that my network cable is unplugged.

Please Help!!

2. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 231

is this connected via a switch or router... try switching physical ports on the router.. you may have a defective port on the router.

3. inukman

inukman TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried that. There is no connectivy light comes on no matter which port I try on the hub. However all the lights work because I tested them with my laptop.

4. urbandragon

try this...

move nic card to different PCI slot. you may have a defective pci slot.

try this...

right click my computer> click properties> click hardware tab> click device manager>

find the active nic ( you said you installed another i think) right click it> click properties> click advaced tab> click on the Link Speed & duplex(it may be named differently)> change to 10 base full duplex... click ok then try a reboot.
    try settings on 10base half duplex if this doesn't resolve issue.

5. inukman

inukman TS Rookie Topic Starter

First NIC is built in to the mother board. Tried moving the second NIC to a different slot with no luck.

tried both 10 full and 10 half duplex suggestion with no luck. Do you think a worm or virus may have made changes to the registry?

6. urbandragon

quite possibly.

try booting to safe mode with networking.. see if it works there..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.