Network Cable Unplugged appears whether connected through router or directly to modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC has an incredibly annoying and head-scratching problem, it won’t connect to the internet as it constantly says “A Network Cable is Unplugged”. I gather this is a common problem and I searched on the internet for a solution, but the ones suggested haven’t worked. My PC runs on Windows XP and we have a wired home LAN network to share an internet connection

I tried changing the speed and duplex, I went to run, cmd and put ipconfig and it says ‘Media Disconnected’. I tried every cable we have in the house of varying length, even a Cat6 instead of the usual Cat5 ones the other computers use and I tried a crossover adapter just to see if it was being contrary. I also tried switching ports on the router and the one that was always off was the one for the problem computer. I tried updating my driver, which is an onboard Realtek one, it wouldn’t update. The technician for Arbico which the company I bought the PC from said it was the NIC, sent me a new one and washed their hands of the problem.

The new NIC, a TP-Link on this time, had the same problem so I then took the PC to PC World where the technician connected it up and it worked there with no problems.
I assumed that a shop like PC world has a network so thinking maybe the problem could be our router, I connected the new PC straight into the modem and still got the network cable unplugged message and it still won’t connect to the internet. I doubt the problem is the modem as we’ve only had it a few months and the other two computers and the Xbox360 on the network connect fine as well as the computer the new one is going to replace and my laptop on the odd occasion when I plug it into the network.

Now I really don’t know what is wrong with it and have failed to narrow it down. Any ideas?

The fact that the Realtek driver cannot update is a worrisome clue.

If this is a desktop, replace the network card as a test... and reinstall the drivers once more.

Modems or Network Interface Cards can fail at anytime, and new ones are not any more reliable than old ones...

Also check the socket. We have been seeing a lot of network socket failures... But were fixable by adding a new network card, and disabling the old socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back