Network Configuration Problem - Bizarre

By ton-ton99
Jun 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can give me any help on the following setup:

At the beginning of this week I signed up for BT Broadband Talk (Supposedly cheaper phone calls) and I got from them a Voyager 220V Modem/Router. This router does not have a swith built in, so I am using my old Netgear DG834G as a 4 port switch. I also have a Netgear WG302 Wireless Access Point tied in.

I have managed to configure my laptop (Windows XP) to go on the internet through the Netgear switch which works good. The Voyager is the DHCP Server and correctly gives out automatic IP addresses to my laptop. The Voyager IP address is 192.168.1.1, and I fixed the Netgear switch to 192.168.1.2. The Netgear WAP is 192.168.1.3 which it gets from the Voyager and is reserved in the DHCP Table in the Voyager.

Although I cannot get the wireless side to work just yet (still playing) I have a problem with the wired side.

Through the house I have a desktop computer (Windows XP) that is wired onto the LAN. It receives an IP address, and it notifies me that there is an Internet Connection (8.1Mbps). I can ping all the devices but I cannot access any web page. It does not let me in. Even if I bypass the Netgear Switch and plug straight into the Voyager, It is still exactly the same. I have re-booted, tried fixed Ip addresses but to no avail. Can anybody shed any light at all on this, as I do not know if I can fix it.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Its not something as silly as the "work offline" tick being there is it???
  3. ton-ton99

ton-ton99 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I played around with the computer last night and managed to turn off all the Windows firewalls. Then unknown to me Norton Personal Firewall popped up! Aha! I turned off the Norton Firewall and hey presto it works!

I think Norton downloaded with the updated BT Yahoo software. I am trying to get rid of it as I am not a big Norton fan. Most computers that I am asked to look at for repair have Norton installed on them.

The next step is to get the wireless side working..........

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.