Network "dialer" stopped loading at startup. Weird.

Mugsy

Windows 7 (64bit) used to load the Network "dialer" (I have DSL) at bootup or whenever a connection was not present, but a few days ago, it suddenly stopped. I must now start my Internet connection manually via a shortcut on the desktop.

I don't prompt for a password, but I don't want my PC connecting w/o me for security reasons (eg: catching viruses/adware that try connect to the Net to upload my info or send Spam.) This is how I've connected since Win98.

I thought maybe I had disabled something necessary from "msconfig", but I put everything back and it still doesn't work.

I've also tried putting the shortcut in my Startup folder, but Windows just ignores it. (???)

I remember having this same problem years ago with XP but forgot how I fixed it.

Anyone have any ideas?

run SERVICES.MSC and verify Network Connections is enabled and autostarted.

View Network Connections and be sure the connection properties are correct.

Move the shortcut in my Startup folder to the All Users\Startup

Services

run SERVICES.MSC and verify Network Connections is enabled and autostarted.

View Network Connections and be sure the connection properties are correct.

Move the shortcut in my Startup folder to the All Users\Startup
Thanks for the reply.

I first checked various Services (including "Network Connections") early this morning, and nothing I changed made any difference.

"Network Connections" is currently set to "Manual", but I tried setting it to "automatic" and nothing changed.

And as noted, I put the shortcut in my Startup folder, but Windows just seems to ignore it. Very weird.

Back