Network disconnect when I connect w/ a new device. Plz Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDALAX30

I have a linksys wrk54g wireless router connected to my cable modem. Off the router runs my desktop, roomates wireless laptop, my wired xbox360 and my roomates wireless ps3.

My problem is that when i play online games on my desktop, i momentarily get disconnected from the internet....for a couple seconds and drop the game I'm in whenever either the xbox or ps3 are turned on. I also get disconnected from other online programs such as aim/xfire but thats not as bad cuz i just log back in right away. It is pretty annoying and i believe it is a problem with my router somehow?

I am semi competent at computers and setup the network myself. Please if any1 has ideas or has heard of this problem before id appreciate it.

sounds like you have a duplicate IP address on one the the boxes

get a connection and make sure you can browse the Internet using google
and search for anything you like (we'll use this as a test)

Connect a device and make the browser search again (even on the same words).
If you get disconnected, then the last device connected has the conflict.

Go to that device and REMOVE any static IP address and make sure you have
Automatic DHCP for the IP and DNS addresses on that device.

Alright well i've been messing around w/ my network for the past hour now and have discovered the xbox and ps3 both share the same IP and DNS addresses. But they are both set on automatic also.

The devices that disconnect me are both the xbox 360 and the ps3. but not my roomates wireless laptop.

the DNS addresses SHOULD be the same everywhere, but ALL IP addresses must be unique!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back